Dynon Upgrade to 6.2

Jimhusky

I just completed the upgrade of the Dynon SV-D1000 to Software Release 6.2.  On the first try the unit returned a message ".DUC FILE NOT FOR THIS SYSTEM."  After Dave Armando, Director of Maintenance, Flight Design, sent me one additional file, it took less than 45 minutes to complete the entire upgrade process.  I will test fly my CTLSi using the new release this weekend.

Only takes a few minutes to put 6.2 in.  I noticed a number of changes in screen choices and the ability to access the menu on the ground and in flight.

Lone Mountain must have loaded the 6.1 program directly from dynon and that is why it would not make the changes with Fight Design's 6.2.  With the unlock program from Dave it worked fine.

The Dynon instruction book and installation manual no longer apply in some areas due to Flight Design's changes.

I'm trying to get used to the new screen layout choices.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I install the new software and for some reason I get a red X on my oil pressure indicator. A call to FD USA and Dave Armando give me some things to check to verify it is not the sender - it isn't. I don't hear back for a while. When I do hear back I find out there is only one person that can help in Germany and his wife just had a baby. He won't be back until Apr. 1st. OK, a good excuse. (Although I don't understand why only one person can handle this.)

So, April 1 comes and goes and I don't hear anything. April 2nd I send Dave an e-mail, no answer. Today I call and am told Dave is at Sun and Fun and won't be back until Monday - maybe. In the meantime my plane is not airworthy.

Customer Service??

Doug,

It is just crap luck back to back. No matter how you cut it, when dealing with a small company, they will have limited resources.

I am betting the red X is a bad sensor definition. I know skyview is a linux based system, and I have seen the sensor definition file syntax.

Are you able to download the sensor definition file (sfg) from your skyview and post it here?

FD Germany finally sent the file. I won't be able to use it until tomorrow. Dave was still on it, just a slow response from Europe.

Roger, Dave had me jumper from the fuel pressure sender wires (disconnected) and it didn't change anything except, of course adding a red X to the fuel pressure sender for the time it was disconnected.

(On the positive side, I now know what is in the the fat fire sleeves at the bottom of the firewall.)

Turned out that the original 6.2 file was ok except that it changed the oil pressure sender to a Motorola when it was a different brand. (I did not change it, and nothing in the log book notes it, so I think whatever it is it is original.) In a conference call with Steve from Dynon and Dave from FDUSA it took a bit too get there, but a change in the definitions and all is back to normal. I thank them both. :)

It was likely a fluke. The problem with FD's software controlling model is that they have to redo all of their work every time they go to move to a new software version base. Since Dynon regularly changes the parser and syntax for configuration files, among other things, FD Germany would have to reconfigure their modifications by hand. This means human error is introduced into the equation. Since I know that they had to send you a special package of the software to put your skyview back in line with the release cycle, and the issue didn't happen until you upgraded, that strongly suggested that it was a software configuration glitch; likely an honest mistake by the programmers at FD Germany.

This is one of the big reasons why the linux distro Ubuntu pushes updates and modifications back to Debian, which is the distro that Ubuntu is based on. It means that there is less work involved when a new version is released, as many of the modifications will come built in, instead of having to redo them every time. Debian gets good patches for their software base as a plus, but the Dynon/FD relationship stops just short of this symbiosis, sadly.

• 3 months later...

Archived