SL 40 Radio

Al Downs

Sitting at home reading the manual for the SL 40  and have a couple of questions. Some would probably be answered Tuesday when I fly again but I really don't like to experiment while flying.

When using the monitor function, you would be listening and talking on the active freq. When you push the MON, you are then listening to the monitored freq and if a transmission comes across the active freq it will automatically switch so you can hear. Is that correct? If you push the transmit button do you transmit on active or standby? Or do you have to use the flip flop to set the freq you want to active to transmit on it?

It also says the radio can be hooked up to a GPS receiver. Is that something different from the 696 GPS?

All very confusing to me.

At least starting with the 496 (not sure about previous models) you can select a frequency in the gps database, and it will broadcast that across the serial connections to the SL40, changing the standby frequency to that which you selected.

Frequency monitoring on the SL30 and SL40 series very rapidly switches listening only between active and monitoring frequency. Active frequency takes precedence over standby when receiving and transmitting.

"When you push the MON, you are then listening to the monitored freq and if a transmission comes across the active freq it will automatically switch so you can hear. Is that correct?"

*Yes*

"If you push the transmit button do you transmit on active or standby?"

*Active".  In fact, you'll have to remember this or you'll find yourself "speaking" to the monitored channel, when you are really speaking to the Active channel.

I use this *a lot*.  Monitor practice area freq, while talking to tower on the other.  Monitor local CTAF while chatting on an air-to-air freq.  Monitor ATIS with CTAF/Tower on the active freq.  Monitor closest CTAF while FF is on Active freq.  etc

If the Monitored freq has traffic, the ">" symbol points to the right side, letting you know it's coming from the monitored side.

If you only have one radio, the MON button is the best thing since sliced bread.  I use it all the time.  Especially good for getting the local weather without losing track of what people are doing around the pattern or local area.

I had not heard about the GPS frequency select thing...that's something I'll have to investigate.  Can I just hit the nearest button, select an airport, and snag the frequency there and have it stuff it into the standby freq on the radio (I have a 496)?  if so, that is slick. 

The blue wire from the GPS needs to be connected to the correct input on the radio. This is the same blue wire that connects the GPS to the auto pilot. If it is connected then you highlight the frequency on the GPS and hit enter IIRC, and it sends the frquency to the standby on the radio.

Not really related, but I've found lots of pilots don't know that monitoring 121.5 is a requirement:

!FDC 4/4386 FDC SPECIAL NOTICE... NATIONAL AIRSPACE SYSTEM INTERCEPT PROCEDURES. AVIATORS SHALL REVIEW THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION MANUAL (AIM) FOR INTERCEPTION PROCEDURES, CHAPTER 5, SECTION 6, PARAGRAPH 5-6-2. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE, IF CAPABLE, SHALL MAINTAIN A LISTENING WATCH ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF 243.0.IF AN AIRCRAFT IS INTERCEPTED BY U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT AND FLARES ARE DISPENSED, THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES ARE TO BE FOLLOWED: FOLLOW THE INTERCEPT'S VISUAL SIGNALS, CONTACT AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL IMMEDIATELY ON THE LOCAL FREQUENCY OR ON VHF GUARD 121.5 OR UHF GUARD 243.0, AND COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY THE INTERCEPTING AIRCRAFT INCLUDING VISUAL SIGNALS IF UNABLE RADIO CONTACT. BE ADVISED THAT NONCOMPLIANCE MAY RESULT IN THE USE OF FORCE.

Being discussed on a Pilots of America, which brought it to mind.

FE,

Did not know you had to monitor 121.5. I thought you'd have to tune to 121.5 IF intercepted.

I keep a card with instructions of how and what to do when intercepted in the holder on my instrument panel. I hope it keeps gathering dust.

One could make the argument that, except on longer cross country legs, a single radio equipped airplane, even with a second frequency monitor function, is not "capable" of monitoring 121.5 given the other demands for radio resources related to safety of flight such as monitoring nearby airports and getting weather.  I'm not necessarily saying you should not monitor 121.5, just that the "if capable" language gives you some leeway if you are finding you don't have the ability to do it all with a single radio.  Flight safety should come before monitoring guard.

That said, if you are in a long leg and between areas where you need to be on other freqs, you should (must?) absolutely monitor guard.

Eddie: that is for TFRs and national defense airspace. Airliners and charters are also required to monitor. Little guys are not required.

Well, it kinda says "ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE".

Source for the exclusion?

Andy, I get your point, but with one radio I'm on 121.5 any time there's not a compelling reason why another frequency is needed.

Well, it kinda says "ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATING IN UNITED STATES NATIONAL AIRSPACE".

Source for the exclusion?

That's the cut&paste NOTAM for the circumstances that I said. NOTAMs themselves are not regulatory, they are advisories. They need to be supported by a regulation, such as TFR regs or restricted/prohibited airspace operations.

That's the cut&paste NOTAM for the circumstances that I said. NOTAMs themselves are not regulatory, they are advisories. They need to be supported by a regulation, such as TFR regs or restricted/prohibited airspace operations.

My understanding is that FDC NOTAMs *are* regulatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOTAM

Flight Data Center (FDC) NOTAMs The National Flight Data Center will issue these NOTAMs when it becomes necessary to disseminate information that is regulatory in nature, and they contain such things as amendments to published IAPs and other current aeronautical charts. They are also used to advertise temporary flight restrictions caused by such things as natural disasters or large-scale public events that may generate congestion of air traffic over a site.

FDC Notams do not supersede regulations. Also note: disseminate information that is regulatory in nature. That doesn't necessarily mean they are made regulatory just because the notam says so, it needs to have regulatory support.

I'll get some clarification from the local FSDO. If this has changed and there is now a regulation that enforces it, I would like to know.

I think it's a good idea, regardless.

I think a pilot could be violated for violating an FDC Notam, though in practice in this case it would be highly unlikely.

Still, if a pilot were to be intercepted an hour after a shutdown of the National Airspace in an emergency, the issue of why he or she was not in compliance with the Notam could come up.

If I'm circumnavigating Macon, let's say, below their Class C, I might tune in Macon approach for a while, and I have no convenient way to monitor a second frequency. As soon as I'm clear, it's back to 121.5.

It's a habit, and a good one to have.

The local FSDO has set themselves to work on the question.

What surprises me is that radios don't have some sort of built in guard frequency monitoring. I was always curious about that, it seems that if there is an emergency, ATC should be able to contact you no matter what.

What surprises me is that radios don't have some sort of built in guard frequency monitoring. I was always curious about that, it seems that if there is an emergency, ATC should be able to contact you no matter what.

Thanks.

And I just downloaded my ICOM comm radio's manual to see if I was missing a hidden "monitor" function. I wasn't.

It would be kind of cool if ATC could, maybe by transponder code, pop your radio into 121.5 to talk to you if you are not listening.

And turn on the little hidden camera the NSA put in your altitude indicator.

:lol:

I meant cool from a technical perspective more than "gee I want that!"  But it might save a lot of pilots from violations.  How about this:  A light and audio queue "requesting" you to change to 121.5.  

Good morning,

To answer the question you had for me yesterday, regarding a regulatory requirement to monitor the guard frequency, 121.5 in Part 91 General Aviation Operations, no there is not a specific regulation requiring this. However, when flying in/around airspace which has a current TFR/NOTAM for monitoring of the guard frequency, 121.5, then you must comply with the special issuance provided it is not contradictory to the 49 CFR regulations. There are also areas in the Airman's Information Manual which could assist you in making the determination on when it is appropriate to monitor the guard frequency, 121.5. A few of the references are highlighted below:

AIM 5-1-11

Pilots should remember that there is a need to

continuously guard the VHF emergency frequency

121.5 MHz when on long over-water flights, except

when communications on other VHF channels,

equipment limitations, or cockpit duties prevent

simultaneous guarding of two channels. Guarding of

121.5 MHz is particularly critical when operating in

proximity to Flight Information Region (FIR)

boundaries, for example, operations on Route R220

between Anchorage and Tokyo, since it serves to

facilitate communications with regard to aircraft

which may experience in-flight emergencies, communications,

or navigational difficulties.

REFERENCE−

ICAO Annex 10, Vol II, Paras 5.2.2.1.1.1 and 5.2.2.1.1.2.1

AIM 5-6-2

All aircraft operating in US national airspace

are highly encouraged to maintain a listening watch

on VHF/UHF guard frequencies (121.5 or 243.0

MHz). If subjected to a military intercept, it is

incumbent on civilian aviators to understand their

National Security and Interception Procedures 5−6−3

responsibilities and to comply with ICAO standard

signals relayed from the intercepting aircraft.

Specifically, aviators are expected to contact air

traffic control without delay (if able) on the local

operating frequency or on VHF/UHF guard.

Noncompliance may result in the use of force.

AIM 6-2-4

The Cospas−Sarsat system has announced the

termination of satellite monitoring and reception of

the 121.5 MHz and 243.0 MHz frequencies in 2009.

The Cospas−Sarsat system will continue to monitor

the 406 MHz frequency. What this means for pilots is

that after the termination date, those aircraft with only

Emergency Services Available to Pilots 6−2−3

121.5 MHz or 243.0 MHz ELT’s onboard will have

to depend upon either a nearby Air Traffic Control

facility receiving the alert signal or an overflying

aircraft monitoring 121.5 MHz or 243.0 MHz

detecting the alert. To ensure adequate monitoring of

these frequencies and timely alerts after 2009, all

airborne pilots should periodically monitor these

frequencies to try and detect an activated

121.5/243.0 MHz ELT.

Pilots are encouraged to monitor 121.5 MHz

and/or 243.0 MHz while inflight to assist in

identifying possible emergency ELT transmissions.

I hope this helps and have a great afternoon,

Elizabeth A. Swingle

Aviation Safety Inspector

CMH FSDO GL-07

Office: 1-614-255-3133

Response from the FSDO. Not regulatory unless, as previously stated, you are in areas that requires it.

Archived