Dynon and Garmin Updates

Roger Lee

Hi Guys,

Don't forget that your Dynon units and the Garmin need updating as do other types of electronic gear in your cockpit. The Dynon's are up to 5.3 for software, the Garmin 296 is up to 5.8, the Garmin 396 is up to 5.0 , and the 496 is up to 4.8.

The Dynon's are done right in the plane and the Garmin's are better off coming home to a computer with a web connection.

Hi Guys,

Don't forget that your Dynon units and the Garmin need updating as do other types of electronic gear in your cockpit. The Dynon's are up to 5.3 for software, the Garmin 296 is up to 5.8, the Garmin 396 is up to 5.0 , and the 496 is up to 4.8.

The Dynon's are done right in the plane and the Garmin's are better off coming home to a computer with a web connection.

Roger,

My Dynon is version 1.08. Other than upgrades for Dynon internal AP, are the other other's important enough to bother with? I don't think I have a 9 pin update connector anyway. Oh, would the up date bring the fatter AoA indicator to a D100. Mine is the orginal skinny AoA bar.

R6

Hi Doug,

Yes, you really should do the updates. This is a major change in software for you. It is very important. You do have the 9 pin serial cables. They may be behind the panel or in the tunnel down by the parking brake. They will be joined by a dsb double end connector. Once these are updated you can get rid of that because the units will talk between each other with out it. You need to go onto the back of the D120 (instrument read outs) on the passenger side and cut or remove the number 2 pin yellow ire. This is the keep alive wire and now need to be disconnected. You will also now have a panel set up just for the Rotax.

Roger,

My Dynon is version 1.08. Other than upgrades for Dynon internal AP, are the other other's important enough to bother with? I don't think I have a 9 pin update connector anyway. Oh, would the up date bring the fatter AoA indicator to a D100. Mine is the orginal skinny AoA bar.

R6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

Yes, you really should do the updates. This is a major change in software for you. It is very important. You do have the 9 pin serial cables. They may be behind the panel or in the tunnel down by the parking brake. They will be joined by a dsb double end connector. Once these are updated you can get rid of that because the units will talk between each other with out it. You need to go onto the back of the D120 (instrument read outs) on the passenger side and cut or remove the number 2 pin yellow ire. This is the keep alive wire and now need to be disconnected. You will also now have a panel set up just for the Rotax.

Roger, 'you need to go to the back of the D120 (what does instrument read outs mean) and cut number 2 pin...' What if it isn't cut? And a panel just for ROTAX? What does that mean? :unsure:

Hi Doug,

Back when Dynon had the software version 1.0.7 they needed to have both Dynon units joined together to talk to each other, they also had a wire to help keep the battery and connection between units alive. They called it the "Keep Alive" wire/pin. When they went to the future updates then the units no longer needed to be joined together so the Keep Alive wire was not only not needed , but it was causing conflicts within the software. You are now supposed to either cut the Yellow #2 pin wire on the back of the D-120 or just use a little pin removal tool and remove the pin and wire to disconnect this yellow wire. It is easy to do and if you don't have a pin removal tool then just cut it. There are two serial connectors on the back of the D-120. You want the one closet to the door. The #2 pin and yellow wire is on the top row and closest to the door second wire over.

Specific Rotax programing:

On the Dynon D120 they have a software program in the unit for Continental, Lycoming, Rotax and Other. In your main menu you want to select the Rotax engine. The D120 software is then specifically set up for the Rotax engine and its temps, pressures, ect....

p.s.

Once you have updated to the newer software from the old 1.0.7, which most likely people have already done, then you should go into the main menu on the D100 and D120 and hit the "auto config" button so the units can resynchronize with each other and know that there has been a major change.

All this is in the installation manual and users manual. If you don't have them then you can get them on line on the Dynon site.

Archived