Best Oils for Rotax 912S in the US

wlfpckrs

Looking for some good, up-to-date information on the best oil choices for my CTsw 912S engine - and with good availability in the US.

Warm climate

Combination of mogas and avgas - greater than 30% 100LL

I assume semi-synthetic is my best choice.

I've been using Pennzoil 20W50 motorcycle oil, but it's difficult to find.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I'm using Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 now. Seems widely available, especially via the web. 'Used Amsoil Motorcycle in the past. I know this question will lead into the "Synthetic, semi-synthetic, or Dinosaur oil" discussion... but I don't know enough go there.

Tim

I'm also using Aeroshell Sport Plus 4, on the recommendation of Flight Design Southeast (Sebring). I don't know enough to have a reason to go against their recommendation and have had no oil-related issues thus far. I bought a case of it online; had it in a couple of days.

You should not be using just a mineral based oil in your Rotax 912. Synthetic oils are far superior in almost every way.

With what you said about using 100LL more than 30 % of the time then it's semi synthetic for you.

Here is a list: (all semi syn)

Aero shell Sport Plus 4 10-40W

AV-9 from CPS 10-40W

Golden Spectro 4 10-40W

Honda HP 4 10-40W

If you can don't use 100LL if you can help it. The less 100LL through your Rotax 912 the better.

I'm using Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 now. Seems widely available, especially via the web. 'Used Amsoil Motorcycle in the past. I know this question will lead into the "Synthetic, semi-synthetic, or Dinosaur oil" discussion... but I don't know enough go there.

Tim

Tim...

Why did you go away from Amsoil... I just ordered more????

Brian

Tim...

Why did you go away from Amsoil... I just ordered more????

Brian

'no real reason... the place I'd ordered it changed names or went belly up... and I saw that Aeroshell Sport came out. 'Figured something specifically designed for Rotax would be as good or better. So far, so good. But I never had any problems with Amsoil either.

tim

There have been two Rotax powered airplanes here that have had the sprag clutches replaced. These were locked up by lead deposits from the oil. Both owners used 100LL only and no Mogas. Both owners used synthetic oil and did not clean out the oil reservoir at their oil changes. I believe that it is strongly advised by those who work on Rotax engines that synthetic oil should not be used If you run 100LL. If 100LL is used, inspect and, if necessary, clean the lead sludge out your oil reservoir at each oil change .

Don't use full synthetic with 100LL. The lead falls out of the oil and collects where you really don't want it. Semi syn will suspend the lead better and carry it away and out with an oil change. 25 hr. oil change intervals with 100LL. If you use a tank full of 100LL and have full syn in don't sweat it.

Archived