faulty flap control relay

johnr

Hi All. doing my pre flight I found that the flaps were not operating. Returned to hangar & after many checks have found that one of the relays

on the board attached to the inside of the firewall is causing the problem. If I tap it or wriggle it the flaps will operate.

Before I try to find someone with 5 foot long arms to reach in there I would like to know if the relays are replaceable ie plug in type . If they are

plug in I may just be able to reach & replace them. It they are soldered on to the board it presents a much more involved repair.

It would seem that the whole black  cover will need to be removed to enable  access.

Has anyone replaced the relays & how did they tackle it.

John, Perth australia.

Thanks fo the advice , seems such a complicated & expensive sytem to repair. They didnt make it easy when they fitted the relay board to the firewall.

Johnr

Ease of access seems a bit low on the FD list of priorities...the factory CTSW fuel filter could not be in a worse place.    :huh:

I just installed another of these ground wire setups in another CT with headset noise and a flap issue. The noise is gone now and the flaps work well. I'm not convinced the new ground wire was the magic bullet for the flaps because I did a couple of things to that. 

Hi John,

Nice to hear from you again.

If you are having a flap issue it can be a couple of things. Lubing the two flap rods in the baggage compartment should always be done at the 100hr/annual inspections. If it isn't it can become dry and drag. This could eventually burn out the motor. If the flap board seems to be acting up sometimes resetting the potentiometer at the circuit board can help with it's memory. This requires the two switches that came with the plane. The wires just behind the circuit board should all be pushed and above all twisted to make sure the bullet electrical connections are solid. I have seen this as a problem a couple of times and is easy to address. Unfortunately the board can just go bad at times. Once in a while the potentiometer (small blue colored round object with 3 wires) in the baggage compartment up by the micro switch next to the 1/4" aluminum flap rod can go bad.

Hi Friends,

I already had 2 issues with the flap power board. In both cases at least one relay has been defective and I replaced the two relay with success. If you want to repair the board, you need to clean the contact side from insulation lacquer before soldering (diluent for cell lacquer works well). The parts you need are easy to get. Google for 832A-1C-C. In Germany one can find it here: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/504206/

Be sure to apply insulation lacquer at the downside of the board after soldering and before remounting it.

Greetings from Germany

Markus

Edit: Changed the Link to the 1C-Type of (32A

Hi Friends,

I already had 2 issues with the flap power board. In both cases at least one relay has been defective and I replaced the two relay with success. If you want to repair the board, you need to clean the contact side from insulation lacquer before soldering (diluent for cell lacquer works well). The parts you need are easy to get. Google for 832A-1C-C. In Germany one can find it here: http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/504232/

Be sure to apply insulation lacquer at the downside of the board after soldering and before remounting it.

Greetings from Germany

Markus

Markus,

Thanks for helping.

Gday, I have been seperated from my email for 2 days & just read the replies. Thanks to all those that have taken the time to reply.

Interesting to hear that others have had relay problems. I will remove the board & have both relays replaced at the same time.

I always understood that relays were components that had a long life. They survive in cars & motorcycles & seem to last the life of the machine.

Maybe Flight Design should beef them up & if they have a limited life, fit a plug in type & have us replace them at 5years. That would be

preferable to replacing a $250 board that would stop me flying for 3 or 4 weeks  if I had to order a replacement from the factory.

We dont have dealers in Australia with good inventory of spares.

Johnr

Archived