Fuel Leak, Flooding

dick747

CTLS was hard to start today.  When it finally started it ran very rough like it was flooded.  Shut down and pushed back into the hanger.  Then I noticed fuel dripping onto the hanger floor.  It was coming from the drain from the airbox.  I pulled the right carb loose and had a lot of fuel run out.  Removed the bowl and checked the floats. They looked fine so I filled the bowl and both floats rose up the same.  Reinstalled the bowl and carb and started the engine. Everything was OK.  Must have been a stuck float but why did it happen.  The airplane is one hour out of an annual during which the bowls were checked for debris and new gaskets installed.  Question is should I fly the airplane or is further maintenance required?

Leave the cowl off and have someone run the engine from 3000-4000 rpm and take a look at the floats. If they don't leak then fly. If fuel pours out, find the problem. Stuck floats can happen and some times tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver releases them.

Hi,

to check the float needles I use the following technique:

1. Separate the carb from the engine.

2. Empty the fuel chamber.

3. Connect a open ended hose to the fuel-in connection point. You will need such a connector: 881.jpg

4. At the open end of your hose, connect a manual vacuum pump like this one: 648532-vacuum-pump-set.jpg

5. Turn the carb upside down.

6. Apply a small amount of vacuum (not too much!)

7. Check, the vacuum remains stable at least for 10 seconds even if you turn the carb back to upside up carefully.

If this procedure fails, the valve needles must be replaced. I buy them at a sparepart dealer for oldtimer BMW-Bikes. They are much cheaper there....

Happy landings

Markus

Actually Rotax has a procedure for testing the needle in the manual. They call for pressure rather than suction. When held upside down the needle should hold 7 pounds of pressure without leaking. You can put a little light oil around the needle and watch for bubbles. Be careful not to add the pressure to quickly or go higher than 7 pounds, because it will splash oil in your face. Don't ask how I know.

You will need the same banjo fitting, and I used my oil pressure purge regulator.

3. Connect a open ended hose to the fuel-in connection point. You will need such a connector: 881.jpg

This is called a "ring nipple". Unfortunately google searches are a little NSFW (not safe for work) if you go looking for them, so it helps to put in "ring nipple banjo connector".

I had this same thing happen once on a cross-country stop.  Calling my mechanic for help, he suggested taking the overflow hoses off the sides of the carbs, with the float bowl removed, and blowing shop air in there to dislodge any crud that might have blocked the valve that the float normally shuts off when the bowl is full.  That worked.  WF

I had this same thing happen once on a cross-country stop.  Calling my mechanic for help, he suggested taking the overflow hoses off the sides of the carbs, with the float bowl removed, and blowing shop air in there to dislodge any crud that might have blocked the valve that the float normally shuts off when the bowl is full.  That worked.  WF

Strange! The overflow bore does not connect to the needle valve. Instead it connects to the area above the fuel level in the fuel chamber.

If it helped, he did a great job anyway.

Greetz

Markus

Archived