Float Test

procharger

Last WE, just after take off (100 feet high), I got a significant power loss + high vibration during 1 Sec: stick push immediatelly, reduce gaz. Power came back immediatelly, I keep on going, getting high altitude and staying in the pattern. i have check the 4 floats: one of them sink completely! I have replace it with the old one. Floats were replaced 3 months ago: so the issue happened after 3 months, 35 hours flight. I will wait from Rotax to find a solution before buying new one...

• 1 month later...

Looks like the float problem includes a lot more engines than the SB includes. Since im stuck at home and can't fly I decided to do my annual early, really early. Good thing, doing the carb check I found one float in the rt. carb almost fully submerged. The odd thing is there were no indications and my last flight was perfectly normal. Apparently the one good float exerted enough force to prevent over flow.

Apparently when they go bad it happens fairly quick, last spring when I did the annual they were fine. My engine is far below the cut off point of the SB and I only flew 51 hours since last check. Whatever the problem was it involved more than some bad batches.

I just received new floats which are supposed to be the new type but won't have time to install before we go to AZ so I rigged up a test unit to hold the in the normal position and filled the jar with fuel. I'll see what they look like when we get back in April.

al meyer

Archived