GPS vs DYNON

floats

When I change altitude, my Dynon continues to show climbing while my GPS shows going down. By the seat of my pants I am going down. Is Dynon known to be slow to react ? It does not show the same altitude as the transpondeur after altimeter setting. Any similar experience around ? I must confess that I did not upgrade my software yet because I red that some people had to send their Dynon back when it failed upgrading and I would rather do that in winter when I cannot fly on my floats.

Hey floats,

There are differences in the various altitudes. Your GPS reports gps altitude based on a fixed datum that is not the same as barometric altitude your dynon reports. The higher the altimeter setting and the higher the altitude you fly, the more discrepancy between the gps and the baro altitude. The transponder will always report pressure altitude so it will only match your dynon when it's set to 29.92. Always fly baro altitude with a current altimeter setting in the dynon (Current is a reported station altimeter within 100 miles or closer if available) or set your field level when on the ground. The dynon should report within about 75 ft of your field elevation when a local altimeter setting is input, if not maybe have a pitot static test performed and have it calibrated.

Hope that helps

Hi Floats,

What do we call you? Just floats?

The Dynon should be updated. It is necessary and should be done. If you are many versions off this could be part off the problem.They are up to 5.4. What is the version you have?

The Dynon also has a place that you can adjust the calibration some if need be with the control keys on the front. It will say "adjalt" if I remember right.

• 11 months later...

I shall try to updgrade the Dynon I have the 1996 software. Even if Dynon and altimeter do not show the same altitude they should not be showing one going up and the other one going down. Will see after upgrade

René

Hi Rene,

The current Dynon software is 5.4. If you have done any updates you may be on 1.7. You will then need to keep the D100 and 120 separated and not plug them together anymore. You will also need to remove or cut the Yellow wire #2 socket on the D120. It is the "Keep Alive" wire. If you fail to do this you may have some software issues. You need to update the the Auto Pilot control head separately. All this is fairly easy to do..

• 3 months later...

Hey floats,

There are differences in the various altitudes. Your GPS reports gps altitude based on a fixed datum that is not the same as barometric altitude your dynon reports. The higher the altimeter setting and the higher the altitude you fly, the more discrepancy between the gps and the baro altitude. The transponder will always report pressure altitude so it will only match your dynon when it's set to 29.92. Always fly baro altitude with a current altimeter setting in the dynon (Current is a reported station altimeter within 100 miles or closer if available) or set your field level when on the ground. The dynon should report within about 75 ft of your field elevation when a local altimeter setting is input, if not maybe have a pitot static test performed and have it calibrated.

Hope that helps

Hey Eric and Roger

I have 5.4....my baro is always 140 ft higher than my field elevation. 680vs540. My xponder is 160 PA. So I'm cornfused...do I just dial in fld elevation and go fly?

Go into the Dynon menu to setup tab. Keep hitting more until you see "altadj". This will allow you to adjust the deviation in the Dynon with the baro. Just hit plus or minus until you get the correct elevation. Be on the tarmac and make sure you have the altimeter set to the current numbers and then go in and make the adjustment and you'll be all set.

Archived