rubber joint

floats

Hi Floats,

You could get to only two without totally removing the engine, but it would be very lose in its mount and held up with an engine hoist. If you are going to replace them then pull the engine and do them all. There are 16. If they are just a little cracked and not really soft or falling apart then you are probably ok for a while. Some checking and cracking on the outside edge isn't that bad.When a firewall blanket comes through my shop I always change them.

Is it on the right lower mount? Many people have that rubber mount start the crack and many of those are from the exhaust blow-by from the exhaust knuckle. Re-adjust the knuckles by loosening all the exhaust nuts and move the muffler or put some header wrap on and not only stop some of the blow-by, but cut down on the internal heat from the exhaust pipes. It is fleet approved.

Hi Floats,

You could get to only two without totally removing the engine, but it would be very lose in its mount and held up with an engine hoist. If you are going to replace them then pull the engine and do them all. There are 16. If they are just a little cracked and not really soft or falling apart then you are probably ok for a while. Some checking and cracking on the outside edge isn't that bad.When a firewall blanket comes through my shop I always change them.

Is it on the right lower mount? Many people have that rubber mount start the crack and many of those are from the exhaust blow-by from the exhaust knuckle. Re-adjust the knuckles by loosening all the exhaust nuts and move the muffler or put some header wrap on and not only stop some of the blow-by, but cut down on the internal heat from the exhaust pipes. It is fleet approved.

It is indeed on the lower right. My mechanics suggestec to change all the joint of the muffler system because hes says they do not fit properly. He suggested to wled some extension. What is header warp ?

Hi Floats,

I would not let your mechanic weld your muffler. It is the quickest way to screw things up. The muffler pipes only need to be loosened at the studs and the muffler re-adjusted. Re-tension the springs they are most likely too loose. Then apply the high temp silicone to the springs. If you are only getting a little cracking on the right lower rubber isolator don't worry. If the cracking is really deep or the rubber really soft then it needs to be changed. If you are going to change more than the two botoom ones then the enginew need to come out part way. header wrap around the knuckles will make a huge difference. It will stop all the exhaust gas blow-by. You can just warp the exhaust knuckles or wrap the pipes from the exhaust studs down to the top of the muffler. Look under the LOA approvals on this website and look at the header wrap LOA.

You can call me and it may be easier.

Roger lee

520-574-1080

Tucson, AZ

Archived