GL30 - GL40 Radio noise fix

Roger Lee

Excessive VHF Radio noise at take off and cruise RPM

This problem relates to noise that is heard on transmit in your headphones via a function called side tone, which allows the pilot to hear, monitor his voice as he speaks. The side tone is produced by your SL30 or SL40 radio. My LS had this excessive noise at take off and higher cruise RPM but was fine during taxi calls and tolerable at lower RPM during circuit communications etc.

The noise successfully resisted all concerted attempts and all known remedies, like faulty earth connections on electrical buses, connectors, capacitor, auxiliary audio input, faulty insulation washers, you name it and it was checked or replaced or tightened. As this was a new LS, I was somewhat uneasy about the fixes attempted and the even more so by the results which amounted all to NIL.

The solution came to me after I removed the noise cancelling headphones in flight and quickly putting them on again because of the noise level in the LS is a lot louder to what I had been flying previously. The default settings in the SL30 have been set to cabins with far less noise than an LS. As a result the side tone levels have to be adjusted and this is accomplished by putting the SL30 in to system mode, rotate the large knob to COM option page, press ENT. Rotate large knob select “side tone”. Mine was set to a value of 50 out of 100, which was too high.

You turn the small knob to adjust the value 1 to 100. I turned mine past 1 which brings up “variable” and slaves the side tone to the volume control and worked just fine with my SL30 and FD CTLS. The objectionable noise is gone. Hope this helps somebody else.You will find this procedure in the "SL30 nav com pilots guide page 32". I suspect the SL40 is very similar, consult your manual.

Happy flying!

Niels

I tried to do this on my SL40 but couldn't tell much of a difference. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or don't know what to look for. Will try it again on the way to Page. Is there a way to try it out while you're transmitting to hear it as you adjust?

John

• 11 months later...

My SL30 has a system button where one of the menu items let you set the side tone. It had been fine, I thought for 600 hours, then my wife started complaining my voice was too loud when I transmitted. We were able to fix it during a long xc just by playing with the setting. WF

Archived