Electrical Failure

Roger Lee

Posted by wlfpckrs on another forum:

Received this note from the co-owner of N293CT, who started a western trip from NC yesterday. We bought this bird in December of 2006, and we're bumping up against 800 hours on the Hobbs meter.

"Electrical power failed about Greensboro - radio out landing at Shiloh. I looked at everything, and decided most likely problem was the voltage regulator connections. Pulled the plug and cleaned & adjusted all the contacts - and the battery charges again. Actually ran 13.5 volts, which is much better than it had been doing, so control connections have been dirty for some time."

Is this something that can be checked/cleaned/serviced from time to time?

Hi Guys,

Any of these electrical connections can be a problem and a few have been if you live near the water like California or Florida and even if you live in a fairly humid climate. I have seen first hand the white powder corrosion on terminals. This is especially true on the positive side of the current. If it were me I would apply a little die electric grease to those connections. i.e. the reg/rec side plug mentioned in wlfpkrs post and the ignition module plugs on top of the engine. This will keep the moisture out and the connection solid.

One day my Sky Arrow (with a ROTAX 912ULS2) had the GEN light stay on after startup. I had heard that the voltage regulators were an issue, so I actually ordered two - one to install and one to carry as a spare.

When we went to swap voltage regulators, the mechanic found that the white rubber boot protecting the plug for the voltage regulator was torn and loose at the top, and that water had apperently run down inside and corroded the contact. Cleaning them worked and now I have about 200 hours on the original voltage regulator.

4723489993_9f062e5e65.jpg

Cirrus pilots have gravitated to a product called Stabilant to apply to problematical EMAX connectors. It may be ideal for an issue such as this as well.

• 1 month later...

Is there another approved voltage regulator for the CTsw besides the Ducati? Now that we've had our problem, I hear that the Ducati hasn't been dependable. I spoke with one of the local Remos guys who said that, since they also had problems with the Ducati voltage regulator, they've come up with their own that seems to be much more reliable. They also run a ground wire directly to the engine, I believe.

Hi Wlfpckrs,

They have an occasional reg/rec go out, but it usually isn't a big problem. The only one we can legally use is the one supplied by Rotax. Most last many years or for the life of the engine. Remos can't change theirs and keep their airworthy cert. unless the factory approved it. I would be surprised if the Remos factory went against Rotax recommendations. As soon as they do that they own any problems or issues with that engine.

Archived