The Wild Kingdom

FlyingMonkey

That's what it felt like yesterday.  I landed at Monroe, GA (D73) in the morning, and came somewhat close to hitting a deer on roll out.  After a fun day of flying, I returned to homebase at Winder GA (WDR) at dusk, and just before the flare a coyote darted across the runway!  No harm done in either case, but I will be much more watchful for critters in the future!

Here's a video of the deer incident, it starts at about 1:22, deer runs across from the left.  The GoPro is a somewhat wide angled, the deer sure looked closer in person.  I had to get on the brakes fairly aggressively to keep my distance, and I was afraid there might be more behind him.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjrNrBvBelo

So cool that you caught that!

My favorite was a pony standing on the runway:

8003473608_f687ed6fcc_z.jpg

I was in my Cirrus landing on RWY2 at Copperhill and had enough runway to land beyond him. Taxied back and took this photo, right before he ambled off!

Beautiful landing, BTW! Great airspeed control. But if you were my student, I'd have you leave the flaps alone until clear of the active.

So cool that you caught that!

My favorite was a pony standing on the runway:

8003473608_f687ed6fcc_z.jpg

I was in my Cirrus landing on RWY2 at Copperhill and had enough runway to land beyond him. Taxied back and took this photo, right before he ambled off!

Beautiful landing, BTW! Great airspeed control. But if you were my student, I'd have you leave the flaps alone until clear of the active.

Thanks.  The landing was good, but it was calm wind and I should have landed the other way...runway 3 is a bit downhill.

With 30 flaps landings I have gotten in the habit for getting the flaps up ASAP.  The airplane wants to get pushed around very easily with those big flaps down, and going to 0 or even just 15 flaps "plants" the airplane much better for the high speed part of the rollout.  Your comment is well received though, I might revisit that.  

That pony is awesome.

Andy,

Retracting flaps on landing rollout is not a big deal, especially if you never plan to fly a retractable.

The FAA frowns upon it, and I like to teach consistent with their recommendations lacking a very good reason not to.

My personal habit is not to raise them until clear of the runway, and in my career I have never found a downside. Yes, retracting them may weight the gear a tiny bit more for better braking, but it also gives up aerodynamic drag making more braking necessary. Very close to a "push" in anything resembling normal operations.

I don't disagree with both your points. The only reason I started doing it is that the CT is a a little squirrelly on high speed rollout, and the extra lift of the flaps makes it significantly worse. Not a problem in calm conditions like in the video, but when there are crosswinds or gusts you can really have to dance on the pedals to keep it straight.

Archived