Running hot, or not?

FlyingMonkey

I did a climb out to 4500ft.  Oil temp did get into the yellow, at about 242°F, but seemed stable there.  Once I leveled at 4500ft (OAT reading 74°F), I set cruise for 5300rpm and waited for oil temp to stabilize.  It came down to 230°F and stayed pretty rock stable there.  At any cruise setting from 5200rpm to 5500rpm, oil temp was very stable at 228°-231°F.  

Andy -- I think you're in good company.  I amazingly was able to take a short weekend trip (~200nm) in my little plane. :D It's running around 100F degrees every day and I had to tie down my plane outside on the tarmac at a tower controlled airport.  I came home yesterday with my plane sitting in direct sunlight all day at the airport with the surface OAT 99F when I fired up the plane.  It took around 10 mins to actually take-off with CHT rising to around 210F on the ground when I starting take-off.  I climbed non-stop to 6500' (around 6000' AGL) where the OAT was 72F.  CHT maxed out at 227F in the climb and actually started going down at around 4500'.  Oil temp climbed to around 240F but stabilized around 5000'.  At 5300RPM cruise, Oil was around 228F and CHT 200 with my plane starting out around 40lbs under gross.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived