High Tachometer Alarm CTSW

Bobby CAU

Hi Bobby,

It will be a wire for the tach on the serial pin that connects to the Dynon or a ground. Look in the Dynon installation if you want to see exactly which pin.

This provided you didn't mess with anything inside the engine compartment. There is a plastic connector for this that is in the plastic flex hose or fire sleeve protector where the wire bundle goes through the fire wall on the engine side. It should be close to th3e slit in the hose. Pull it out and check it.

• 2 months later...

dear Roger and friends in CTFlier.com,

after my second sortie, just 1,500ft the alarm out of sudden came loud again with the same situation high RPM for tachometer while all cable is already checked before.

throttle running well and i have all the power except the alarm, event after i ack it will come back again.

i rushed for landing and do the full power checked on ground, no problem at all.

any advise friends?.

This will be electrical noise, bad connections, or a bad harness. If you are sure that the connections and wires are not the problem, then have the pickup distance checked on the magneto generator.

Electrical noise: possible but improbable. Noise is bleeding onto the tach cable and making the ems think it is recieving more pulses. Or noise into the ems unit is causing it.

Bad connections: really make sure that the connector is clean, and the pins are not wobbling around. They need to be secure ot it can attenuate the signal and cause signal reflections, leading to extra pulses.

Pickup: it must be a very specific set distance from the flywheel to work. Too close or too far will skew the signal. Do this only if you need to, it's hard to get to and many people dismount the engine to get to the back of it.

Two places to look. It is either a bad connection where the 5h trigger coil wire is plugged in. This is just above the battery where the tubing goes in through the firewall. You will see a black I cased wire set. It is only two wires and plugs together in that fire sleeve just above the #3 cyl.

Pull this lug apart and plug it back in again. It could also be that this wire was pinched as it comes off the back of the engine. It may also be the 5th trigger coil has slipped in its mount and now the air gap is off. The engine has to come off for this adjustment. Check the wire plug first.

This will be electrical noise, bad connections, or a bad harness. If you are sure that the connections and wires are not the problem, then have the pickup distance checked on the magneto generator.

Electrical noise: possible but improbable. Noise is bleeding onto the tach cable and making the ems think it is recieving more pulses. Or noise into the ems unit is causing it.

Bad connections: really make sure that the connector is clean, and the pins are not wobbling around. They need to be secure ot it can attenuate the signal and cause signal reflections, leading to extra pulses.

Pickup: it must be a very specific set distance from the flywheel to work. Too close or too far will skew the signal. Do this only if you need to, it's hard to get to and many people dismount the engine to get to the back of it.

thanks so much Corey Hassel, I will try to check it out again then ...

Two places to look. It is either a bad connection where the 5h trigger coil wire is plugged in. This is just above the battery where the tubing goes in through the firewall. You will see a black I cased wire set. It is only two wires and plugs together in that fire sleeve just above the #3 cyl.

Pull this lug apart and plug it back in again. It could also be that this wire was pinched as it comes off the back of the engine. It may also be the 5th trigger coil has slipped in its mount and now the air gap is off. The engine has to come off for this adjustment. Check the wire plug first.

dear Roger Lee,

thanks a lot, let me go back to hangar and check again but this will impact to any dangerous of flying Roger?.

Archived