CTSW 1 Bird 0

CT4ME

Ya know how, when you're driving along and you see birds playing "chicken" with traffic? You know, flying low across lanes of traffic, just barely missing the windshields?  I swear they do it on purpose...

A couple tried it today when we were flying along at about 6.5k (2500 agl).... 

'Didn't turn out good for one...

ctswbird1.jpg

radiator after picking out a few pieces...  no apparent damage. I'm pretty sure the paint crack at 2 o'clock was there already.

ctswbird2.jpg

Lucky it hit there. We had a chimney swift hit the canopy and punch out an elliptically shaped hole about 3 inches long and an inch and  half tall, about mid-way up just past the edge of the post on the pilot's side.  We were down for 10 weeks and the total bill was $10K. 

Taught that little guy a lesson, he won't make that mistake again! (for obvious reasons   :laughter-3293:   ) 

I agree with Andy, Tim lucked out.  No real damage, just a nasty cleanup job.  I know where I fly it's only a matter of time...there are so many turkey buzzards, starlings, and other avians around here that if I fly long enough we *will* try to occupy the same volume of space at some point.  I hope when it happens it's as much a non-event as Tim's, or at least not as painful as Andy's!  

BTW, if this ever happens to you and you're curious about what species did the damage, they can make an i.d. with only a few scraps of feathers.  That's how we knew it was a chimney swift...about a 2-3 oz. bird.  I sent the feather scraps I scraped off to the Smithsonian lab at the address referred to by the link Corey provided. 

Archived