Top end o rings for 912

procharger

You can use the Rotax service centers and get them seperate:

Lockwood

CPS

Leading Edge 

or if you have the size you could use Maryland Metrics and use Viton.

Rotax #'s:

inner Cylinder "O" ring 250-510

air intake "O" rings on top of head 230-910

large valve cover "O" rings 250-265

small valve cover "O" ring 430-205 

not sure had head and cyl. redone about 125 hours ago because of a leak

but it appears to be coming between cyl. and head again  at bottom not sure I have cleaned

it several times to try to find it but can't seem to pinpoint  where

it is, all the wind blowing through cowl spreads it around, not bad but

a little kooks like a lot.

I recently removed and reinstalled the heads on a 912 to clean the exhaust valves. In talking with Brett at LEAF there is a service instruction that covers a leak that appears to be coming from the cylinder head, but it is coming from the stud in the case and traveling through the passage in the cylinder. He said if you have it apart it should be done, along with replacing all the seals. For all 4 cylinders it was over $300 in parts, but that did include the cylinder alignment tool.

http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceinfo/si-912i-006r1.pdf

I installed the special seals when I re-assembled the engine.

Those holes have rods that are similar to through-bolts for opposing cylinders in lycomings and continentals. What they do, is help mate the main bearings snugly once torqued. I can't exactly remember how they were fitted, but I am pretty sure there are rods inside the case, with a female-female threaded sockets on each end, in which the rods that bolt the cylinder on will thread into. Oil can get by from crankcase pressure. The gasket/o-ring prevents the oil from getting past the stud and outside. This is why I was asking for photos because that's where I was headed :-)

Those holes have rods that are similar to through-bolts for opposing cylinders in lycomings and continentals. What they do, is help mate the main bearings snugly once torqued. I can't exactly remember how they were fitted, but I am pretty sure there are rods inside the case, with a female-female threaded sockets on each end, in which the rods that bolt the cylinder on will thread into. Oil can get by from crankcase pressure. The gasket/o-ring prevents the oil from getting past the stud and outside. This is why I was asking for photos because that's where I was headed :-)

2 of the studs per cylinder have inserts in the case and the other 2 just thread into the case. The latter two are the ones that leak.

Fred, The area in the case that the stud is threaded into must be open to inside the crankcase where the oil lives.

My leak shows up at bottom between head and cylinder drops of oil on fins on both sides

of push rod tubes mainly. I have cleaned area several times and then fly hard for

30 min. or so and pull cowls and don't see anything, that's the weird part then next time I

will see signs of oil so not sure what is going on, usually when it leaks there will be some

oil on front ex. pipe that has dripped down anyone else seen this on there engine??

Does my engine have any seal on studs now? Mine Ct is 2007 about 1200 hours.

No seals on the studs from the factory for your year model. The problem showed up with the new heavy case in mid 2006. There is also a serial number break where it takes a different seal. If you have the head loose you should also replace the cylinder base o-ring, because it will relax and not seal right when tightened back down. It is kind of a pain, because you need to strip the engine down far enough to remove the top air shroud.

Archived