Lightspeed Tango

Tip

My take?

This is not a good case for wireless, much like wireless keyboards for a desktop make little sense - neither the pilot nor the keyboard are going to be moving around much.

I guess headset cords are a minor annoyance, but not worth the added complexity, IMHO.

As an aside, I due use a wireless headset when walking the dogs, cycling or working around the property and such.

I settled on one that uses bone conduction, leaving my ears unblocked. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJDMNOQ

Caveats:

1) Not great for music, with not a lot of bass. But I'm generally listening to podcasts, and for the spoken word they're just fine.

2) My son-in-law found them uncomfortable - there is a tiny bit of clamping action, but I don't find it objectionable.

It is senseless to be in a small enclosed space and have a cable tethered from the cockpit to your head. Wired headsets are an old-school, obsolete, clumsy tech that has to get remedied, and it looks like this product is a big leap toward that.

The Lightspeed product is ANR. The wireless carrier is neither Bluetooth or WiFi but a proprietary signal designed for the cockpit.  Long lasting Lithium batteries power both the panel interface unit and the headset.  The batteries are full charge in 2 hours and will power both units for 12 hours.  The headset ships with a two-port wall charger to charge both batteries at the same time.  Should a battery fail in flight, the transmitter unit can be linked by cable to the headset.

The trend toward modernization is slow coming to aviation but is coming. Examples include touch interface glass avionics replacing round gauges, RNAV GPS/WAAS with GBAS(LAAS) replacing VOR/NDB/ILS/LOC.

I think wireless headsets will offer some safety advantage during egress in an emergency, especially when ditching. This advantage may be negated when the more common event fumbling in the cockpit for a new battery or to connect the cord occurs.

Training for both of these contingencies is a good idea!

Wired headsets are not senseless.  Many people prefer not to bother with batteries and recharging.

I'm with you Mickey….in the quest to keep things simple…my headset stays plugged in,  requires no batteries, works perfectly for me and lasts a long time at a competitive price.

Archived