Pipistrel Virus SW

CT4ME

'Saw this newish LSA, the Pipistrel Virus SW on another site. Cool airplane, very similar to the CTSW. High-wing, composite, no struts, 'chute, Rotax.... similar shape, but with a T-Tail.

http://www.pipistrel...s/virus-sw.html

The specs, if true, are outstanding. 120kts at 3gph. The Euro version claims 170mph cruise at 4.7gph (75%). (with 80 HP Rotax?!?!?-according to specs in video at about 3:30)

Check out these videos... notice the interesting maneuver at the end of the high-speed fly-by (1st video about :45)

Tim

i'd think so, too.... but it was the winner of the NASA/Boeing-sponsored CAFE contest, twice. This contest measures the fuel efficiency of aircraft. Gotta be something to those numbers.

I looked at the contest results from 2008... it flew against a CTsw, and 4 or 5 other planes... it finished the 400 mile race 21 minutes ahead of the CT, and beat the CT by about 3.5 mpg, with better climb, less noise, & faster top speed....

I still think the specs are bunk... but believe shape/wing/tail or sumpthin' gives the Virus a leg-up in performance.

Tim

even if it's called an SW, the wing span is 35 ½'. It needs less engine power for similar performance of a CT with ~25% less wing span.

Also, these speeds are with the inflight ajustable prop.

I have a friend with the long (49') wing Sinus.....impressive numbers.

In Canada, they're not advanced ultralight like the CT , but registered as motorglider and require glider licence.

Different planes...for different mission

still... VERY well made planes by a very good company

• 2 years later...

In Canada, they're not advanced ultralight like the CT , but registered as motorglider and require glider licence.

Different planes...for different mission

still... VERY well made planes by a very good company

The Pipistrel Virus SW has been approved for the Canadian Advanced Ultralight Category.

But honestly, why would you go that route when you can Register it as Amateur Built, and fly it at night and/or IFR legally!

But honestly, why would you go that route when you can Register it as Amateur Built, and fly it at night and/or IFR legally!

yep..now approved

the ONLY reason would be to use it in a ultralight school.

Amateur Built is the way to go....but... I wonder how they can do that when 51% must be done by the ''builder''

Archived