Recurring Flat Tire

andyb

About 6 weeks ago, I taxied uneventfully, and after waiting for takeoff clearance when I moved I had a flat left main tire.

The local FBO (not a FD service center) replaced the tube, which they said had a small pinhole.  They were in contact with a respected FD maintenance center when they did the work.

Three subsequent flights with no issues.  Then, Saturday, went out to fly and in the hangar the same tire was flat again.

Any thoughts?  While this is kind of a pain, I'm more worried about the tire losing pressure in the air and having a surprise upon landing.

Thanks,

Andy

If there's a pinhole in a tube, something put it there, and it's probably still embedded in the tire. Be real careful about running your hand on the inside of the tire if you try to find it... sometimes FOD can be really nasty.

If it keeps happening, replace the tire.

A couple of years ago I had many flats. I found that the type of tire and the recommended tire pressure was the cause. I changed to the 8 ply tire and 40psi and have not had a flat since. The 8ply tires also wear like iron. They wear even and in my opinion are much better than the originals

A couple of years ago I had many flats. I found that the type of tire and the recommended tire pressure was the cause. I changed to the 8 ply tire and 40psi and have not had a flat since. The 8ply tires also wear like iron. They wear even and in my opinion are much better than the originals

The 8ply tires DO wear like iron.  Ride like it, too!   :laughter-3293:

Do you have an approval for the 8 ply tire? It was my understanding that they are not approved by Flight Design. I know that switching to a 8 ply tire seems like such a minor change that it shouldn't be a big deal, but the change can have unintended consequences. At least that is what the FAA says when you have a tire with a greater ply rating than approved on a standard category airplane.

Do you have an approval for the 8 ply tire? It was my understanding that they are not approved by Flight Design. I know that switching to a 8 ply tire seems like such a minor change that it shouldn't be a big deal, but the change can have unintended consequences. At least that is what the FAA says when you have a tire with a greater ply rating than approved on a standard category airplane.

It does have an unintended effect. I suspect you already know this, but the ply rating is part of the suspension system. A thicker or thinner tire will change how the aircraft handles and shock absorption on touchdown.

It does have an unintended effect. I suspect you already know this, but the ply rating is part of the suspension system. A thicker or thinner tire will change how the aircraft handles and shock absorption on touchdown.

And ride in taxi.  I have had tire wear issues for a long time, and went to 8ply tires to help,  The tires did last a lot longer, but the ride was harsh and noisy so I went back to 6ply.

I did know that. I have also heard of mechanics being violated for installing 6 ply tires on airplanes that only 4 ply tires approved on the TCDS.

I did 6 plys on my new CTLS (860LS) because the tires looked like the originals and were very worn.  Since I'm so new to this plane, I have little idea if I am feeling a difference with the tundra tires.  I can say that the monster retreads sit a little higher than the originals, so the wheel pants do also.  This gives me some comfort when worrying about them coming off due to pilot error.

Interesting follow up on my issue.

FBO that did the prior tube replacement went to the plane to assess new flat. They came to the conclusion that they didn't install properly and that led to pinched tube. They said it was their error. I pointed out that I flew the plane numerous times in between flats, so I questioned that their error caused issue. They insisted it was their error and they fixed it for free.

Nice to find such honest people out there!

Andy

I disassembled a Matco wheel to change a tire one time that had a football shaped chunk cut out of the tube, there might even have been 2 I don't remember. The tire had been on the airplane for a year with no problems. The tube that was pinched was a light weight tube, and it was difficult to keep from getting the tube pinched. I now only use the heavy tubes when changing a tire. They are much less likely to be pinched on assembly.

Archived