GDL-39 and SKYVIEW

NC Bill

That's always been my understanding.  Garmin only plays with Garmin.  Now thinking about it, not entirely true, since a Garmin GPS can drive other AP's, but that's because it output is industry standard (ARINC?)... I'm actually way outside my realm of knowledge here... probably shouldn't have replied.  So, Garmin mostly plays with Garmin.  So... yeah ignore this.

They use their own proprietary format.

If you have skyview, I really suggest just using skyview. In a way, there really isn't a reason to have a garmin GPS if you have a fully operating skyview with moving map...

Unless you have Skyview touch...there is a big reason to have a Garmin 796 touch nav in the plane....The fixed screen Dynons are lousy flight planning and moving maps compared to the 796.  Also, if you have Garmin GTR 225 in the plane the ability to pop a frequency from the 796 into the radio is slick too.

You can easily load a flight plan from Foreflight into Skyview using the $35 Dynon WiFi adaptor.

You can can also modify the route on Skyview and download that into Foreflight, and vice versa, it works both ways.

As of SV 12.0 you can select Auto Tune in SkyView and uplink radio frequencies directly into a Garmin radio.

I know many FD customers are limited by not having the current SkyView firmware. In my airplane I currently have 14.1.2 which also provides a neat glide ring on screen indicating how far you can glide based on set parameters and modified for wind. 

SkyView Touch has the same buttons and bezels as Skyview, with the addition of the touch screen.

Archived