Planning LSA Club Formation - CTLS Lease Back?

twmatthias

A group of folks at our FBO are thinking about starting an LSA Flying Club in western Massachusetts. We have all piloted the CTLS that the FBO has on lease-back and we would like to base the club on that airframe. Unfortunately, the FBO lease-back arrangement is terminating and won't be renewed.

We have fewer that 10 pilots in our group. One is a student pilot and the others have their SPL or PPL. Most of us find the CTLS fits our needs admirably and would like stick with that model.

Since this effort is in its early stages, we have not yet decided whether we want to structure the club on an equity or non-equity basis. A non-equity structure would require us to arrange some sort of lease-back agreement with a current CTLS owner. We have not yet found someone in our area who owns a CTLS.

Can anyone connect us with a person/company who might entertain such a proposition? Again, we are in the beginning stages of the club formation and need to gather information to develop pro forma financials for each of the two structural options.

Thanks in advance,

Theo

Would nobody in your group want to purchase a used CTLS/CTSW and put it on leaseback?  Some good deals out there!

This was mentioned to the group but we haven't had any volunteers. If we go the equity route, we'd certainly take advantage of a small fleet of CTLSs that are for sale and hangared at the FBO. However, the seller does not want to leaseback as he is liquidating the assets.

Theo,

I firmly believe that CT's are nice little planes, among the best SLSA's out there. Certainly the most popular in the US (I think).

But be sure you fully understand the difficulties that Flight Design/Germany is going through right now, and it's possible effect on both the value and usefulness of the fleet going forward.

As they say, "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst".

You and I should talk. If you don't have anyone with experience running an airplane club, you might hit some of the nasty pitfalls that can get you guys in some real trouble.

Thanks! You have a PM from me.

Theo,

I firmly believe that CT's are nice little planes, among the best SLSA's out there. Certainly the most popular in the US (I think).

But be sure you fully understand the difficulties that Flight Design/Germany is going through right now, and it's possible effect on both the value and usefulness of the fleet going forward.

Yeah, I've been following that thread. Perhaps this is another reason a lease-back might be preferred over an equity position. Fortunately, we are located very close to FD USA in CT and they have been absolutely terrific to our FBO. We'll see how this whole thing plays out...

Theo

Theo,

What 'difficulties' might those be?

Flight Design USA and Tom Peghiny is taking care of we owners in the USA..

Theo, when you start to get setup make sure to connect with Tom...a conversation with him is a must when it comes to the product. 

What 'difficulties' might those be?

Flight Design USA and Tom Peghiny is taking care of we owners in the USA..

Theo, when you start to get setup make sure to connect with Tom...a conversation with him is a must when it comes to the product. 

He specifically mentioned FD Germany, who is the actual manufacturer.  FD USA is great, but they don't make a lot of the airframe.  They *might* have some major airframe parts in stock, and the AeroJones deal might solve a lot of issues, but there are some real unknowns right now for major repairs or component replacement.  

He specifically mentioned FD Germany, who is the actual manufacturer.  FD USA is great, but they don't make a lot of the airframe.  They *might* have some major airframe parts in stock, and the AeroJones deal might solve a lot of issues, but there are some real unknowns right now for major repairs or component replacement.  

FD USA is Flight Design...and they are getting planes from Taiwan directly.    Every FD owner has a ton of resources to get whatever they need right here in the USA  (FD USA, Lone Mountain, Lockwood, CA Power Systems etc)....   FD USA is where every owner should go for their information and ignore the rumors and unreliable chatter on aviation sites.

You have no idea how much we actually do this.

You too?  Never good to become enamored with 'experts' who deviate from the book and the factory.  Always best to consult with the factory to get the answers.  

Archived