Zenith Zodiac 601 Crashes Into Cessna 441

gbigs

This is just my personal thought process...

I do not know of the proximate cause of this mishap. Nor of one that just occurred yesterday involving a Bonanza in TN. http://www.wbir.com/news/local/developing-1-dead-in-small-plane-crash-in-sevierville/204367178

But "confirmation bias" being a thing, I always wonder if the planes had carried less energy into the landing if the outcomes may have been very different - and less tragic.

Not trying to stir up another debate, just pointing out where my mind goes when I hear of this sort of accident.

This is just my personal thought process...

I do not know of the proximate cause of this mishap. Nor of one that just occurred yesterday involving a Bonanza in TN. http://www.wbir.com/news/local/developing-1-dead-in-small-plane-crash-in-sevierville/204367178

But "confirmation bias" being a thing, I always wonder if the planes had carried less energy into the landing if the outcomes may have been very different - and less tragic.

Not trying to stir up another debate, just pointing out where my mind goes when I hear of this sort of accident.

This story has been evolving.  Kathryn's report has more information.  A pilot standing outside at the airport reported seeing that the Bonanza's landing gear was up coming in for a landing.  Now a few days later it's reported that he was doing touch and goes, and did land landing gear up.  That's obviously not the NTSB report, but does involve a lot of information.

Let me reiterate..."I do not know of the proximate cause of this mishap."

Excess speed may have had nothing to do with it - it's often just my "knee jerk" reaction, often proven wrong. But often ending up justified as well.

Most gear up landings are embarrassing, but not often fatal. Possibly an ill-fated attempt to go around from a gear up - usually not a good idea.

But solidly into speculation mode here, and I apologize. Probably best to wait for more info on that one.

I think you made it clear you were talking about the  general characteristics of the plane. I was not offended or concerned you jumped to conclusions :)

Because you and I live near here, I thought I would share any publicly available updates.  Here is the story updated  from the local news:

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/ntsb-pilot-in-fatal-crash-was-pracicing-touch-and-go-maneuvers/207214467

From the story:

"Todd Gunther is leading the NTSB investigation into the cause of the crash.

He said it appeared Irwin had been doing "touch and go" landings for at least half an hour before the crash.

"During one of the touch and go landings here, the aircraft appears to have touched down without the landing gear in the down position," Gunther said.

There is evidence of the plane's propeller hitting the runway at least three times before the plane crashed to the left of the runway and caught fire."

Archived