Conditions for Best Rate Of Climb - Homework?

FastEddieB

Ed seems to have established that a CT may climb better with partial flaps than with no flaps.

If that's the case, and the POH specifies "No Flaps" for best rate, then the POH would appear to be wrong*.

I don't recall any plane's POH specifying any flaps for best rate, but that's not to say that proves there's not.

Let me call on our student and new pilots to maybe take a look through various GA POH's online, and look in the "Performance" section to see what conditions the manufacturer specifies for best rate of climb.

I'm genuinely curious if there are any out there that specify partial flaps for best rate of climb.

Will not prove anything, of course, since the POH's may be wrong, but still should be interesting.

Let us know what you find!

*If Ed is getting substantially better climb with flaps than without, he really should bring it to Flight Design's attention so they can correct the POH

Ed seems to have established that a CT may climb better with partial flaps than with no flaps.

I know that 15* produces a better climb angle.  I think I established that 15* has a better climb rate above 12,000' where at 1 flap setting I was already running into the Ed ceiling. (Ed ceiling was when IAS was in the 40's. and I was close to the ground)

What is true at above 12,000 may not be true in general.

I'm going to test again and focus on 15* rate vs 0* rate.  I certainly got the results I expected, maybe a 2nd look is warranted now that I know the results are in conflict with generally accepted fuzzy thinking on the subject.

*If Ed is getting substantially better climb with flaps than without, he really should bring it to Flight Design's attention so they can correct the POH

The POH states to use -6 for best cruise.  I have been using it for best climb for two years also.  Nothing new here.

Ed,

Rewarding to see you taking a skeptical view of your own data.

Pretty sure we've established that in some planes partial flap may increase climb angle - the lower forward speed making up for a slightly reduced rate.

Anyway, learned something already from the other threads, and I hope everyone is getting something from them.

If that's the case, and the POH specifies "No Flaps" for best rate, then the POH would appear to be wrong*.

I don't recall any plane's POH specifying any flaps for best rate, but that's not to say that proves there's not.

Let me call on our student and new pilots to maybe take a look through various GA POH's online, and look in the "Performance" section to see what conditions the manufacturer specifies for best rate of climb.

I'm genuinely curious if there are any out there that specify partial flaps for best rate of climb.

Will not prove anything, of course, since the POH's may be wrong, but still should be interesting.

Let us know what you find!

This doesn't necessarily mean the the POH is wrong.  An aircraft POH typically states performance at sea level standard day (59 deg F) conditions, and adjustments need to be made if you're somewhere else. 

John

This doesn't necessarily mean the the POH is wrong.  An aircraft POH typically states performance at sea level standard day (59 deg F) conditions, and adjustments need to be made if you're somewhere else. 

John

Actually, many if not most modern POH's give climb performance for non-standard conditions and for various altitudes.

Actually, many if not most modern POH's give climb performance for non-standard conditions and for various altitudes.

Should have looked at my manual - you're right.  And it does show better climb rate at 0 vs 15 degrees at 12k feet.

Should have looked at my manual - you're right. And it does show better climb rate at 0 vs 15 degrees at 12k feet.

Sorry for the delay responding.

I just confirmed that the CTLS POH confirms lower climb rates and lower ceilings across the board with 15° flaps.

Incidentally, best I can tell the charts for 0° and -6° are virtually identical, though the data below the chart indicates better SL climb rate with 0° as opposed to -6°.

I'll likely post the charts to the other thread tomorrow.

Archived