Strobe Lights

rhanson

RE: Installing the EPTA-LSA will require a couple extra wires, and a switch to control the strobe function.  A conference in Germany brought about the following solution to provide the required wiring. You could merely attach the new wires to the old and just pull them through the wing.  You would need two wires AWG15 or more (AWG14) and for the smaller two wires you need AWG22 or more (AWG20). JMH

I plan to proceed with the above upgrade.

Are there any recommendations for where to find 

the wires ( AWG15, 14, 22, 20 ) to replace the old wing-tip nave

light wires ? ... hardware store or aircraft supply ?

RH

SEZ

If you haven't purchased the lights yet, this is simpler: http://www.jmh-innovations.com/index.php?page=lichter/epl2is.html. They are practically a drop in replacement for the older design lights (the ones that only have one color, newer CTs have 2 color wingtip lights). You can buy them from http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/epl2winglights.php . They have three wires: 2 for power, one for sync. They also have a copper heat plate that sticks out into the airstream, which is a huge plus for longevity.

Synchronization isn't required. But if you do want it, you need to use tefzel wire.

I just saw the wiring diagram for the EPTA-LSA at http://www.jmh-innovations.com/index.php?page=lichter/epta-lsa.html. It is really freaking goofy and I don't understand what they are trying to accomplish.

Red and black for power, yellow syncs the wingtips (why does it show them connected to beacon and taillight?), blue syncs with the landing light (why is there a separate wire for this?). The red and black has to be a twisted pair wtf?

And the mounting instructions PDF only mentions THREE wires, not a fourth, but the diagram shows 4 in there too???

And why does the diagram show three separate switches and fusing? Who the hell drew this thing???

Hey All! 

I'll speak of the wire diagram first.  Each of these lights are small computers, and are software driven, and controlled.  The Yellow wire you speak, is the data link between each of the lights in the network.  They hook to all lights in the newest generation of the lights, to allow them all to charge, or flash each light at separate times, to allow for a leveler power draw.  Your eye will not catch the stagger in light flash releases.  

Of course the diagram is a suggestion for most efficient use of the system.  I'm pretty sure the 3 switch arrangement allows you to turn on your Red/green/white NAV lights, with one switch, One Switch to power your Landing light, and the third to energize the anti-collision function which will include the white tip stobes, Beacon, and Landing light Red/White flash. You could put 2 switches on the EPTA-LSA (as I have) to power them only as a NAV light, and the second for switching on the white strobes.  Twisted pairs are again recommended I'm sure for noise reduction in power supply, and output.  I'm not the engineer, but this is my belief.  

Hope this helps. I'm thinking we need to get a Diagram up that is in English as well! jim

For wire sources, I often call these guys, as they are in my area.

http://stores.ebay.com/Haire-Aviation-LLC/Electric-Wire-/_i.html?_fsub=3979482&_sid=21026817&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

There also is Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, and Chief.

Could you install upgraded lights with strobes and wire them into the "position lights" switch, so you didn't need an additional switch? You'd only lose the ability to control strobes separately, but if I'm moving I'd want the strobes on anyway.

This would make sense, especially for us VFR day only type people. Assuming that it can be done.

Hey All! 

I'll speak of the wire diagram first.  Each of these lights are small computers, and are software driven, and controlled.  The Yellow wire you speak, is the data link between each of the lights in the network.  They hook to all lights in the newest generation of the lights, to allow them all to charge, or flash each light at separate times, to allow for a leveler power draw.  Your eye will not catch the stagger in light flash releases.  

Of course the diagram is a suggestion for most efficient use of the system.  I'm pretty sure the 3 switch arrangement allows you to turn on your Red/green/white NAV lights, with one switch, One Switch to power your Landing light, and the third to energize the anti-collision function which will include the white tip stobes, Beacon, and Landing light Red/White flash. You could put 2 switches on the EPTA-LSA (as I have) to power them only as a NAV light, and the second for switching on the white strobes.  Twisted pairs are again recommended I'm sure for noise reduction in power supply, and output.  I'm not the engineer, but this is my belief.  

Hope this helps. I'm thinking we need to get a Diagram up that is in English as well! jim

For wire sources, I often call these guys, as they are in my area.

http://stores.ebay.com/Haire-Aviation-LLC/Electric-Wire-/_i.html?_fsub=3979482&_sid=21026817&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

There also is Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, and Chief.

Unfortunately it doesn't help because their wiring diagram is goofy as hell. I know what the yellow wire is supposed to be for, as I've dealt with similar units before. The problem is that this particular set has FOUR wires in the wiring diagram, but no mention of the fourth and what it does in the instruction manual. I suspected the fourth "wire" might have been shielding, except it's wired into the positive side. So It's really goofy... whatever it is.

No shielding.   On the EPTA-LSA, there are 2 reds, one for the Red/Green and white tail light, and one for the White strobes.  One Black ground, and one yellow data.  Same on the Landing lights, but One is blue in stead of 2 reds.  yellow and black as above.  jim

OHHHHH. I see. One switch is supposed to be controlling all of the anti-collision flashers on the nav lights, landing light, and just flipping on the tail light period. The other switches are controlling the steady lighting on the nav and landing light separately. Now it makes sense. It's still goofy as we generally use separate switches for the nav, strobe, landing light, and beacon, but that's not too hard to change if someone wanted.

• 10 months later...

I have a CTLS (860LS) with one red and one green wing tip light.  The red one flashes but the green one stays on solid.  I assume they are both supposed to flash.  If true, where would be the best place to get the green one to replace it (since I figure the flashing part is busted).  I can see they are LED lights.

Danny

Doesn't really flash like some, kind of just twinkles. I never bothered with them during the daytime because you can't see them anyway unless you're on top of the guy. I have seen a few guys change them out to brighter flashing lights.

6 hours ago, Fly Boss said:

Thanks Roger and Tom.  As much as it will drive me nuts, I'll continue to fly with one flash and one solid for now.

Danny

Unless you can see them flash while flying it shouldn't drive you nuts. And, if you can see them flash while flying it's either a) night, or B) your're in the clouds, or c) you've exited the aircraft:giggle-3307:

Archived