Prop Service

wlfpckrs

For the next 100-hour service (1,000 hours) on our 2006 CTsw, I understand we'll have to remove the prop and send it overseas for inspection and service to the tune of about $1,000 and be grounded for a month or so. Does the cost and timeframe sound about right?

I also understand there is an approved US-made prop. Any idea how much it costs?

There are 2 or so CT's that have a Sensenich props in the US, but you will have to file an LOA at a cost of $150 and the prop is approx. $2300 which is about the same price as a Neuform so you might as well stick with the fleet approved Neuform if your going that route. There are a number of CT's with Warp Drive props here in the US and overseas. I put one on the CT in the hanger next to me because the Neuform developed some longitudinal cracks. The cost is right around $800 and it is a US made prop. If anything were to happen to it it can be fixed easily or replaced almost over night. The CT next to me likes his Warp. I have one and like it, too. If you go that route you need to tell the Warp guys what plane it is for because you get a little face plate that goes on the front of the prop flange.

My Neuform in flight variable pitch prop. has to go back to Germany before next May for the 5 year service. I have been trying for the past two years to have Neuform approve a maintenance facility here in Australia to do the work, but to no avail.

As you will see from previous posts on this subject, ( http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/302-neuform-propeller-overhaul/page__p__1458__hl__%2Bneuform+%2Bprop+%2Bservice__fromsearch__1#entry1458 ) some owners airplanes were out of service for up to 3.5 months due to the slow turn around.

I have been looing at other options, but have yet to make a decision.

There are 2 or so CT's that have a Sensenich props in the US, but you will have to file an LOA at a cost of $150 and the prop is approx. $2300 which is about the same price as a Neuform so you might as well stick with the fleet approved Neuform if your going that route. There are a number of CT's with Warp Drive props here in the US and overseas. I put one on the CT in the hanger next to me because the Neuform developed some longitudinal cracks. The cost is right around $800 and it is a US made prop. If anything were to happen to it it can be fixed easily or replaced almost over night. The CT next to me likes his Warp. I have one and like it, too. If you go that route you need to tell the Warp guys what plane it is for because you get a little face plate that goes on the front of the prop flange.

I own the CTSW that Roger Lee was talking about and I am quite satisfied with the Warp drive prop. Roger balanced, installed and adjusted the prop and it is a very smooooth running affair. I looked into the Sensenich prop and you will have to wait about a month to get one as they are behind in production and all are in back order status. I talked to Jeremy at California Power Systems and he indicated that the Warp prop is pretty close to the limit for weight for the Rotax engine. But, he thought it was OK to use and I understand that there are a number of them installed on other CTs. I do not like the fact that you have to pay to get an LOA to install the prop especially considering that it was an installable option (so I'm told) from FD. I expect that as the mandatory prop inspection time arrives for the Neuform props that most will be replaced with American made props. Mine developed quite a few cracks in the jelcoat and I decided to replace it even though it had only about 255 hours on it. If you do go the Warp drive prop route, make sure you order the spinner centering adapter as it will not come with the prop unless you do. Regards to all.........Bill.

Sebring Aviation says an option is to switch out the prop to keep from having to wait so long. Between FL and CT, one or the other (or both) should have a prop in stock to send you while yours is being shipped overseas. Do the warp drive props come in different colors - or just black? Anyone have pictures?

• 3 months later...

''weird... USA-made props standard in UK.... Germany-made props standard in USA...

There is some research going on right now, but considering that FDUSA offered the Warp Drive prop as an option, and it's listed in the POH, one would think it would be approved. I'm looking at replacing my Neuform with a Warp, too, considering the price of a Neuform. 'nicked my Neuform up pretty bad while in Mexico.

Tim

Archived