Howling sound revisted

CT4ME

It's been discussed here a few times... the horrible howling sound that can be caused by a crack or split in the tape used to seal the wing root.  I knew about it and had fixed it previously on my aircraft and others.  The crack/split acts like a reed and the vibrating tape makes for an awful loud screeching when airborne that can be hard to find.

In the last few weeks, the noise was back.  But I looked and looked and looked.  'Even had Roger look.  No crack or split.  But I found it Saturday.  There was a whole 10-inch section of tape, above the door, that was vibrating.  It had lost it's stickem, but still looked perfect to the eye.  Because it was stretched tightly from either end, it looked and felt perfect.  But upon my umpteenth check, I noticed it move slightly with pressure from my finger.  Bingo!  

I will not miss that sound.

The tape on the wing roots should be replaced at each annual check.  The old tape removed, the glue residue taken off with alcohol and new tape applied.  The tape around the maingear boots also need this treatment.  One technique Lone Mountain used on our plane was to lay tape layered, at least three pieces.  Put a center pieced down the middle and two on each edge of that piece to help the center tape stay put.  The tape should not be stretched. 

Archived