EMS: Amps Reading

schurch379

I bought a 2007 CTLS in 2012. I have flown it all over the Hawaiian islands. It is well maintained and hangered.

One thing I have constantly noticed is that ( on the EMS display ) the amperage reading fluctuates almost second to second all over the place--usually, from -8amps to +10 amps. The voltage reading fluctuates just a little bit, almost always in the 12.8V to 13.2V range. The fluctuation on the amp reading is much small when the engine is at taxing rpms ( & always in the green ), but at 5,200rpm cruise it bounces around almost second to second.

And occasionally if the amp reading bounced to -10amps or so---into the red, the red engine light would come on. This is a little bothersome when flying over the ocean, and caused a little worry with my wife today. The engine runs just great, and there are no other issues, but I thought I better ask more knowledgeable people--like you all, what you thought of this...???

Would appreciate your thoughts on this....

Thanks.

Scott
Kona Hawaii
FDN992SA

Since you live in a humid environment you may eventually experience so corrosion on electrical connections. Check these at each annual. For now Dynon says the Rotax is an electrically noisy engine. This makes the ammeter jump up and down. If it has always done it that's normal. If it is doing it alot more than normal then maybe the grounds need tightening and or the grounds contacts need cleaning.

Needed to clean the shunt wire connectors with some scotchbrite and put a little dielectric grease on them. Tighten the ground and replace the old  battery. Most of the problems was the shunt wires.

The other amp reading I had lately was a CTLS had a constant -4 amp reading since new. They tried many things to fix it. All it was is the two small wires on the shunt were reversed. Swapped those around and all was well.

Archived