Garmin 795 database update

Jnowak

'Pretty sure you have to connect to a USB mini and update over the web.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5349 

page 189 (pdf) or 173 (in the corner)

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01194-00_0C_Web.pdf 

This means you'd need to remove it from the panel, unless you take a laptop into the cockpit

695/696 have a SD card slot that can also be used, but I haven't seen mention of the 795/796 using that method.

How do I connect Garmin 795 to a PC for database update in CTLS (I have Jubilee)? Does it have accessible connector like Skyview or do I need to take it off the panel? Thanks!

Jack.

You need to remove it and place it in the cradle that came with the product, or hook it to a PC via the supplied USB cable.  You cannot update it as it sits in the panel.

I have a 2016 CTLS Jubilee (same configuration).  Pulling the GPS out of the plane in a CT is a repetitive pain in the rear.   I bought a 6' right angle usb mini to usb cable (bought on Amazon) and just leave it connected to the 796 in the panel.   I then routed it out the side of the dash so that it joins the 2 USB cables that are on the right hand side underneath the dash (that are used for updating the SkyView databases).   I now once a month (or so) bring my laptop to the plane and use the cables to upload all the latest files.   Works like a champ, don't have to remove anything from the plane.

Thank you all that is really helpful!

Modifying the panel to do an update once every few weeks is like buying a second house to get an extra bathroom.  Since you won't be flying IFR you can update it at your convenience, every couple of months won't hurt anything.   If you really wanna see a pain in the rear get a G1000 panel...four cards, a half hour of updates and magic tricks.

Archived