What's coming for LSA?

Roger Lee

Hi All,

After hearing that some big changes were coming to LSA in the next year or two this is what I have found out from a reliable source, but we all know things can change.

The FAA is looking to require 337 forms for LSA just like GA so they can keep track of all AD's, alterations and major repairs for each SLSA aircraft.

The FAA is looking at making the ASTM standards,which is voluntary at this time, to be a "Regulation" which will make the ASTM standards law and mandatory.

Other things may be added and who knows they may be watered down or eliminated, but this is what the FAA is trying to do right now and it may happen.

Don't go postal yet because we aren't there yet and it is a ways off. Save any animosity towards the FAA and just go have fun and fly while your still young.

Hi All,

After hearing that some big changes were coming to LSA in the next year or two this is what I have found out from a reliable source, but we all know things can change.

The FAA is looking to require 337 forms for LSA just like GA so they can keep track of all AD's, alterations and major repairs for each SLSA aircraft.

The FAA is looking at making the ASTM standards,which is voluntary at this time, to be a "Regulation" which will make the ASTM standards law and mandatory.

Other things may be added and who knows they may be watered down or eliminated, but this is what the FAA is trying to do right now and it may happen.

Don't go postal yet because we aren't there yet and it is a ways off. Save any animosity towards the FAA and just go have fun and fly while your still young.

I would think the process would be LOA then a 337 to document the work. Other than the camel's nose under the tent, don't see this as overly onerous.

Also, the biggest downside I see to turning the ASTM standards into regulations is the speed of change gets slowed. There would now be a second step involved when the ASTM approves a new standard. I suppose the FAA could then start cherry picking which standards they want to let into the US as well.

Maybe congress should cut their funding so they would leave us alone :-)

It was fun while it lasted...

Just waxing philosophic. It will be years before changes can be put in place and then, at worst, SLSA is treated like Part 23.

I've owned a couple Part 23 planes and had no real issues with maintenance and STCs. Still was able to punch holes in the sky...

Archived