elevator trim

procharger

I removed the elevator and adjusted the rods under rudder, that

adjust the trim tab there is a short rod that sticks through

the elevator bracket I don't know what is does? Not the trim

indicator next to the trim wheel. I needed a little more adjustment

to get the plane to fly level when I adj,. trim wheel.

Adjust the rod ends to lengthen or shorten the trim rods.  I think shortening the rods will pull the trim tab down which will result in increasing the nose up trim.  This is kind of counter intuitive since trim tab down will cause the elevator's leading edge to go down, which causes the plane's nose to rise.  Lengthening the rods will push the trim tab up and will result in more elevator leading edge up which will cause the plane's nose down.  This is a "give and take".  When you add more trim tab movement in one direction, you will decrease the travel in the other.  I helped my friend do this on the CTLS the other day.  He never has had enough "nose down" trim and would need to keep forward pressure on the stick for landing.  Now he can set trim "nose down" for landing and no longer needs forward pressure on the stick.  If you do adjust the trim tab, follow the maintenance manual to insure that you end up with the proper speeds  under idle and full throttle conditions during nose up and down trim.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:31 AM, procharger said:

I adjusted the rods 1 1/2 turns out or longer which took care of the problem. 

So that gave you more nose down trim range, correct?  How much more did the 1.5 turns give you?  This is what I need to do, but not sure how much I will need.  I'll probably do 1-1.5 turns.

Hi Andy.  Our CTSW's are a PITA to adjust due to the rod ends being inside the stabilator.  Wish they were like the CTLS with the rods external.  I made a special wrench to get to the rod end lock nuts.  Not an easy chore.  If you're not using a lot of forward pressure I think 1.5 to 2 turns might be good.  If using moderate pressure, might go with 2.5 to 3 turns.

8 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Hi Andy.  Our CTSW's are a PITA to adjust due to the rod ends being inside the stabilator.  Wish they were like the CTLS with the rods external.  I made a special wrench to get to the rod end lock nuts.  Not an easy chore.  If you're not using a lot of forward pressure I think 1.5 to 2 turns might be good.  If using moderate pressure, might go with 2.5 to 3 turns.

I made my adjustments at the top ends of the rods under the rudder, which you can get to.  I have a CTSW.

4 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Good plan.  I couldn't adjust there.  My rod ends were backed out and I didn't want to go any further with them.

Ah.  When I adjusted them, I was giving myself more nose back trim, so IIRC I screwed them *in* a turn.  I will probably back out that one turn again and try it there.  I don't need much, I just run out of nose down trim at the top end of cruise, about 125KIAS.

The good thing is once you have disconnected the rods at the top, taking off the stab is really just two more bolts.  You are right though, getting to those rods in the stab is awful.  I took them completely off to send my stab in for repairs, I think it took me 2 hours to get them reconnected.  NEVER AGAIN. 

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

You are right though, getting to those rods in the stab is awful.  I took them completely off to send my stab in for repairs, I think it took me 2 hours to get them reconnected.  NEVER AGAIN. 

It has been a while since I have had a CTSW trim rods loose on the back end. I don't remember it as being to bad, but quite tedious. Kind of like performing surgery.

Not long ago I spent almost 2 days making and installing a simple reinforcement on a Luscombe wing rib, and then tying a couple knots in some rib lacing cord. It would have been a 30 minute job if it had been in the open where I could get to it.

Archived