Anyone using a Avmap EFIS?

ibjet

I love night flying (call me crazy) and I'm getting my CT set up for it. I have my landing light, panel and compass light but I realized, I'm just not safe unless I have an artificial horizon. In researching it, I found the AvMap Ultra EFIS which Aircraft Spruce sells (currently $899) and I'm thinking this is what I want. I did a little photo magic to see how it would fit in my left panel. I will move my tablet to the center panel (in place of the Garmin GPS). The AvMap EFIS has it's own GPS and they provide the antenna. It has self contained gyros and compass. You just have to provide power and hook it up to your pitot and static air lines. I just thought I would ask if anyone here has any experience with these or ideas plus or minus. Of course I'll do an email to Flight Design before I buy it. 

Thanks in advance. 

ET

(Ed Tichenor)

Layout  of EFIS add and Tablet move.JPG

I put in a Garmin G5  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/514383

You can fly using just this instrument...Ground speed, airspeed,  altitude, attitude, turn and bank ball.  It has its own GPS and you can use it for autopilot if you buy the garmin servos. Lighted for night flying and 4 hour backup battery. 

Works great and installs easily into the front of the panel. I replaced my electric attitude indicator. Power source was from the old electric attitude indicator and it required a little bit of plumbing for the static and dynamic lines off the airspeed indicator. I got my fittings and tube from Home Depot Aircraft Supply.

I love the 21st century!

Thanks for the input. I viewed the web site and they are pretty comperable. I would feel good to have a Garmin product, but it is $300 more. I tried to compare and one of the first things I wanted to find out was the current draw. Gamin does not show it in their specifications page. I imagine it is in the users manual, but I did not open it. The AvMap uses 100 MA nominal at 12 V. I think I do like the Garmin display a bit better, but I did not see the "to heading" bug in their compass heading display (and the AvMap does show that in their EFIS view. Again thanks, I just might switch . . .

Oh, and I agree, the digital age is totally awesome!

To bitten 192: Did you submit an MRA? I sent an email to Arian at Flight Design and I have not heard back from him. The issue I am concerned about is that the LSA Manufacturer has to approve the LSA for night flight. I told Arian I would do whatever it takes. But, he takes forever to get back to me. 

Anyway, I'm just curious if your CT was equipped with night flight capabilities as new. Or, if you equipped it later. 

I installed the Crazed Pilot red LED panel light system. I purchased a single red LED and installed in the compass light port and ran the wires to the terminal block that came with the Crazed Pilot panel light system. I have flown it at night and I'm convinced that I am safe and I meet the FAR's. It is equipped with position and beacon lights. 

I"d just like a little more info on your entry into night flight (I'm assuming that is why you wanted the EFIS)???

Thanks,

ET

Panel and Landing light.jpg

Panel and Compass lights.jpg

14 minutes ago, ibjet said:

Yaaaaaa! I got an email reply this morning from Arian Foldan saying "We can approve that installation"!!!

I told him I would document my lighting additions along with it. I guess I will go ahead and order it today.  

Congrats!  And great to hear that Flight Design is so responsive!  Sadly not all LSA manufacturers are this responsive.

I sent Arian a follow up message yesterday with more pictures of my lighting (those I posted above). And I told him I could switch to the Garmin version if Flight Design preffered (looks equivalent to me and it's $300 more). I also explained that I was a private pilot with a current medical and I wanted to exercise my VFR night flying privilage whatever it takes.

I was very happy and pretty shocked to hear from him first thing this morning!

I think he is probably severly overworked, that's what Corperate America does to their staff these days.

Anyway, I attribute all my earnest efforts to document my request to the quick response. And a lot of luck and holiday spirit, ha ha.

ET

Archived