Safety of flight inspections for ferry permits

coppercity

Found out today that a Light Sport Repairman is not allowed to perform the safety of flight inspection required for use of a special flight permit (ferry permit). So let's say you LSA goes out of annual, and you need to ferry it to Roger in Tucson to do the work, You need to find an A&P to sign of the safety of flight inspection in your logbook in order to use the permit. Apparently the FAA thinks Light sport repairman are not "mechanics" according to their definitions and only a "certified mechanic" can sign this off. Kinda dumb since a LSRM can do the annual?

Found out today that a Light Sport Repairman is not allowed to perform the safety of flight inspection required for use of a special flight permit (ferry permit). So let's say you LSA goes out of annual, and you need to ferry it to Roger in Tucson to do the work, You need to find an A&P to sign of the safety of flight inspection in your logbook in order to use the permit. Apparently the FAA thinks Light sport repairman are not "mechanics" according to their definitions and only a "certified mechanic" can sign this off. Kinda dumb since a LSRM can do the annual?

Let me see if I understand this. My APIA who has done all the work on my planes for years can’t work on my LSA since he doesn’t have the specialized training required however he can sign off on a ferry permit. Because I have had the training I can do the annual on my LSA including work on my Rotax but I can’t sign off on the ferry permit. Makes perfect sense, if you’re a bureaucrat that is. Gee, I can hardly wait for them to take over my health care.

Archived