Intermittent flaps

Ed Cesnalis

I'm waiting for a new circuit board.  Currently my flaps usually work but not always.

Landing with and without flaps is an eye-opener.

'Flying it on' is a good description of a -6 landing.  I can see why people like it, landing skills are not required.

2 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Landing with and without flaps is an eye-opener.

'Flying it on' is a good description of a -6 landing.  I can see why people like it, landing skills are not required.

That should keep you sharp.

Twist all plug style connectors. Many times it's just a bad connection. If you pull the panel out and turn the flap switch to a different setting and it doesn't move then squeeze the board fairly hard and it works it means you have a crack.

Ed, I wrote a fairly long post a year or two ago about my intermittent flap problem (2006 CTsw).  I ended up finding a broken soldered connection between a relay on the relay board and the copper foil conductor on the printed circuit board.  Note that the relay board is mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall and is not the board on which the flap selector switch is located.  I re-soldered the bad connection and fixed that problem.  PITA to find the fault and PITA to remove for repair.  

Consistent with Roger's point, I have also had an occasional problem with connection continuity of the bullet connectors.  

37 minutes ago, FredG said:

Ed, I wrote a fairly long post a year or two ago about my intermittent flap problem.  I ended up finding a broken soldered connection between a relay on the relay board and the copper foil conductor on the printed circuit board.  Note that the relay board is mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall and is not the board on which the flap selector switch is located.  I re-soldered the bad connection and fixed that problem.  PITA to find the fault and PITA to remove for repair.  

Consistent with Roger's point, I have also had an occasional problem with connection continuity of the bullet connectors.  

I found your post and photos Fred.  My Mechanic wants to have a new board on hand but solder the old one if we can find the flaw.

7 hours ago, Anticept said:

What type of failure are you experiencing? Please tell me what you see on the display when a failure happens.

I forget, the big indicator is that when I move the selector to the new, desired flap position I get silence instead of a flap motor.

It may or may not come to life at some point and when it does it likely will move partially to the next position, stop and then move the rest of the way.

Either I get instant response or no response.

Then it's likely upstream of the wires to the motor. You can verify by checking the voltage at the motor terminals when it is failed. If you see 12v, the motor is shot. If you see 0v, it's upstream, and combined with no click, it's somewhere in the controllers.

If you have the old model flaps, there is a board on the firewall with the control relays. You can check for voltage to the board if you know what you are doing.

If you have the new model flaps.... might be easier to just buy a new one, paying someone to diagnose that without a drawing would be expensive.

on my plane and atleast two others we were told by fd to pull the radio panel, then you can see the samll relay board on the firewall and with the flap selector engage to a setting its not currently at with power to the electonics they say to tap ontop of the black solenoids with the end of a screw driver (give it a good tap)...got me from las vegas new mexico to crofton ky!

You will instanlty know if this is your problem....two taps and yopu know what its not.

Removed the board and resoldered every connections and im two years down the road with not one issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived