adjusting throttle

brich

The throttle in the ct I attempt :rolleyes: to fly has become very loose? if you take your hand off, adding flaps etc the throttle takes on a mind of it's own. Most of what I've had experience with had a friction lock but none here. Ideas.Most any problem I've encountered has been addressed here but I could find no reference. thanks

BRich,

Dick has the answer, but I'll elaborate. There is a common bolt at the pivot point of the throttle, choke, etc. When it gets loose, the friction on the levers gets less and and the levers begin to move too easily.

You have to remove the 4 bolts holding the cover, and the plastic knobs from the levers, and then tighten the common bolt at the pivot point. There's not much room in there, so you'll have to be a little inventive, but tightening that bolt will fix things up.

There has been some discussion, here or on the other forum, that some folks have put one of those springy washers ahead of the nut (help me guys - it has a name), and it eliminated the problem of the levers getting loose. Putting some loctite on the nut will probably help, too.

Good luck on the fix.

Tim

Loctite on the nut is not the answer because the nut is not loosening up. The problem is there is a little wear, but the bigger issue is expansion and contraction with temperature. When it gets cold it gets loose, and when it gets warm it gets tight. Like was said you have to remove the 4 screws and lift the plate. The knobs don't have to come off, just move the throttle open and the plate will slide up. Use a long skinny screwdriver to hold the head of the bolt and a 13mm wrench to tighten the nut. It will not take much to tighten it up. Check to make sure it is OK before putting the plate back on. Also the forward screws sometimes are a little hard to get lined up to get back in.

Tim, I believe you were thinking of a "belleville" or a "wave" washer under the bolt head or the nut to put some spring tension on things? This was in another forum. I had forgotten about this but may try it since the problem, as Tom has indicated, is that the cold causes the "creep" to come back each winter.

you guys are awesome, I pointed this out to my fi but wanted to mention it to the guy that owns it but wasn't really sure how to describe it but have decided sloppy describes it. It HAS been really cold here of late. He's great about addressing such but when I talk to him I wanted a clue. Last week I pointed out that the stabilator probably needed torqeing, after reading about it here and checking on preflight.Fixed Immed.

Belleville washer modification

Mcmaster-Carr Part No. 96475K233 $6.15 for a package of 12.

Two of them are installed like this:

/\

\/

Under throttle pivot bolt head.

Yeah, gotta luv this forum :-) .......For the record, this is not an authorized FD part. Had to say this......and wouldn't hesitate to buy some of these washers from FD USA if it they were offered.

Archived