400-4 and 600-4 tubes

Hambone

The nomenclature is generally as follows:

- means bias, R means radial.

Overall height (sometimes not written for certain tire classes)/width - (or R)wheel diameter.

Typically a 6.00-6 is a bias ply that is 15 inches high, 6 inches wide, and mounts on a 6 inch wheel. Or 15/6.00-6

Sometimes the / is substituted by "x"

7 hours ago, Hambone said:

Thanks, Tom!

The 410x350-4 from Desser only seems available as a tire and not a tube.

I just bought these tubes recently, and I had trouble finding them. The invoice I got from Desser listed them as:

TU 13/500-6 HD (400-6) Heavy Duty Aircraft Tube TR-87

This might help you find them.  

3 minutes ago, John Vance said:

I just bought these tubes recently, and I had trouble finding them. The invoice I got from Desser listed them as:

TU 13/500-6 HD (400-6) Heavy Duty Aircraft Tube TR-87

This might help you find them.  

By the way, these fit the 400-6 6 ply Aeroclassic tires. 

8 hours ago, Hambone said:

Thanks, Tom!

The 410x350-4 from Desser only seems available as a tire and not a tube.

I have a CTLS now, so I haven't bought a 4" tube for quite a while. That size came directly off a tube I had on the shelf. I tried to look up the actual part number from the tube, but got some error message on their site. I got the same error for the 400x6 tube.

On the Desser web sit, click the "shop by size/ply rating".  Select 13/500-6 in the size box, "tube" in the select type box, and n/a in the last one.  You'll end up with 2 choices. The ones that cost more are the leakguard tubes. 

1 hour ago, John Vance said:

On the Desser web sit, click the "shop by size/ply rating".  Select 13/500-6 in the size box, "tube" in the select type box, and n/a in the last one.  You'll end up with 2 choices. The ones that cost more are the leakguard tubes. 

The CTSW has a smaller nose wheel, and that is the tube he can't find.

Hambone, just want to confirm that you are looking for a CTSW. It was pointed out to me in a recent conversation that the CTLS MM list the wrong size nose wheel and tire. The standard size tire for the CTLS is the same for all 3 positions. The CTSW uses a smaller nose wheel and tire for the standard configuration. If it is the smaller nose wheel for the CTSW that you at looking for, then try this link, https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/400-4-AERO-CLASSIC-LARGER-DIAMETER-INNER-TUBE-AERO-CLASS-DTR20-206.asp . It appears that Desser has changed the chosen tube fore the 400x4 tire.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

It was pointed out to me in a recent conversation that the CTLS MM list the wrong size nose wheel and tire. The standard size tire for the CTLS is the same for all 3 positions.

In those with the "tundra gear" option (standard in LS in the US, means that wheels come larger). I have been told you can get them without that configuration, which has the -4 wheels.

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Hambone, just want to confirm that you are looking for a CTSW. It was pointed out to me in a recent conversation that the CTLS MM list the wrong size nose wheel and tire. The standard size tire for the CTLS is the same for all 3 positions. The CTSW uses a smaller nose wheel and tire for the standard configuration. If it is the smaller nose wheel for the CTSW that you at looking for, then try this link, https://www.desser.com/Aircraft-Tires-and-Tubes/400-4-AERO-CLASSIC-LARGER-DIAMETER-INNER-TUBE-AERO-CLASS-DTR20-206.asp . It appears that Desser has changed the chosen tube fore the 400x4 tire.

Excellent! Yep, that looks like the right size for the CTSW nosewheel.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Anticept said:

In those with the "tundra gear" option (standard in LS in the US, means that wheels come larger). I have been told you can get them without that configuration, which has the -4 wheels.

Corey, I was at Sebring working the Flight Design booth in 2008 when the CTLS was introduced. The 400x6 nose wheel was one of the design changes for the CTLS. The tundra option for the CTLS only effects the main gear, the nose wheel is the same for either one. The CTSW nose wheel is a different size between tundra and non tundra gear.

2 hours ago, Anticept said:

My CTLS doesn't have the tundra gear option. It has 400x6 tires all the way around. BTW the tundra gear was not standard hear in the US.

I only have a few landings in a CTLS with the big tires on the mains, and personally I don't like the feel of how they grab when you touch down.

19 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Corey, I was at Sebring working the Flight Design booth in 2008 when the CTLS was introduced. The 400x6 nose wheel was one of the design changes for the CTLS. The tundra option for the CTLS only effects the main gear, the nose wheel is the same for either one. The CTSW nose wheel is a different size between tundra and non tundra gear.

I don't remember who it was that I talked to about this. It's quite possible I have been mixed up with the CTSW, which I know the tundra option changed all three on that aircraft. But it's strange that I'm remembering a conversation where the discussion was that the smaller nose wheel was an option but not offered normally.

That said, I do not like the tiny tire option on SWs.

As for larger gear: They are indeed quite large so they grab harder due to inertia, but I find they have a nicer landing and taxiing overall.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:00 PM, Anticept said:

I don't remember who it was that I talked to about this. It's quite possible I have been mixed up with the CTSW, which I know the tundra option changed all three on that aircraft. But it's strange that I'm remembering a conversation where the discussion was that the smaller nose wheel was an option but not offered normally.

That said, I do not like the tiny tire option on SWs.

As for larger gear: They are indeed quite large so they grab harder due to inertia, but I find they have a nicer landing and taxiing overall.

I have the "tiny tires" on my CTSW, and I like them.  I do a lot of takeoffs and landings on grass surfaces (some pretty rough) and the gear takes it easily.  Obviously you don't want to drop the nose wheel into a gopher hole on touchdown, but barring that the smaller gear/wheels are up to anything that you should reasonably be doing with a CT.

I also like the increased speed of the smaller wheels.  I seem to be a good 3-5kt faster than some of the other CTs out there with bigger wheels.  I have thought about putting the larger main tires on my gear, but so far I have not found a compelling reason to do so.  The same also applies to replacing the nose gear with the "tundra" gear.

Archived