Tire inflation problems with Leakguard tubes

John Vance

I recently installed Desser 400-6 main tires with Leakguard tubes, and am having trouble inflating them.  I have a little pancake compressor with a standard dual air chuck, and have found that I have to reduce supply pressure to just slightly above existing tire pressure to get any air flow.  So if the tire is flat, I have to reduce supply pressure to 15 or 20 psi, then slowly raise it as the tire inflates.  PITA.  Apparently, the valve stems can't overcome line pressure and depress the button in the chuck to get air flowing.  I never had this problem with the cheap tubes.  Any ideas?

Never have seen this. If the stem is being compressed straight down at the 6 O'clock position then the weight of the aircraft will squeeze the tube area around the stem and could cause this, but if the stem is at least in the 8 05 4 O'clock position it should not be an issue. Plus 90+ psi of pressure from your compressor should be enough to over come most issues.

11 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Never have seen this. If the stem is being compressed straight down at the 6 O'clock position then the weight of the aircraft will squeeze the tube area around the stem and could cause this, but if the stem is at least in the 8 05 4 O'clock position it should not be an issue. Plus 90+ psi of pressure from your compressor should be enough to over come most issues.

Roger- I think 90 psi pressure would be enough, but I don't think valve stem on the tube is depressing the button in the chuck to let the air out. 

• 4 years later...

John, 

I just experienced this same problem. 
The chuck is fine. Not sure about the valve stem. With the tire pressure very low, the tire valve stem would not compress the “stem” in the chuck. I had to set the compressor very low and gradually dial up the pressure to inflate the tire.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:40 AM, John Vance said:

Roger- I think 90 psi pressure would be enough, but I don't think valve stem on the tube is depressing the button in the chuck to let the air out. 

It seems the stems are really cheap. I had no problem getting air in, but the stem stuck slightly after adding air. Wasn’t enough to hear the air coming out, but was flat in 48 hours because the stem stuck. Has stuck a few more times, but now I just know to check it after adding air.