Tucson - San Francisco trip

Hambone

Hi!

I'm planning a trip from Tucson to San Francisco (San Carlos - KSQL) in a few weeks, with an overnight stop at Monterey. Planning on fueling at Big Bear City Airport (L35), just because it looks like an interesting place, despite the high density altitude and surrounding terrain! I'm taking my daughter and friend sightseeing somewhere around the Bay Area, airspace and weather permitting.

Comments or suggestions welcome!

I was initially pleased to see that San Carlos has MOGAS, but it's more expensive than 100LL!

I've made this flight 3 times. I stopped in Big Bear once, but prefer Apple Valley more. Lower altitude and more runway choices. Even Victorville isn't bad just nothing there, but a long long runway and Million Air FBO for fuel with a small restaurant. A straight through flight is 6 hours and add an hour for your stop. Being this time of year start at sunup and you'll get to SF at a decent time and miss the hotter part of the day Mnt. thermals. Go through Tehachapi Pass in CA through the Mnts. It isn't high or long. 

p.s.

Try to make the trip on a calmer vs windy day.

Good idea, Roger. I think I'll stop at Apple Valley.

Ed - I'd like to visit your neck of the woods one day! I can't see how the flight path from Tucson to San Francisco or Monterey goes through Mammoth Lakes, though.

39 minutes ago, Hambone said:

I can't see how the flight path from Tucson to San Francisco or Monterey goes through Mammoth Lakes

TUS BTY  MMY  SFO  most direct route, that's why it saves miles

Capture.JPG

You would cross the Sierra instead of going around, this point, Mammoth Pass is the highpoint and where I live, ski and work.

Mammoth-41.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome trip!

Fueled at Victorville outbound, Apple Valley on the way back. That was fun, landing with 25+ knots of wind!

Thanks to Roger Lee (who I'm convinced could build a Rotax engine out of toothpicks), the CT purred like a kitten the whole way.

1 hour ago, Hambone said:

Awesome trip!

Fueled at Victorville outbound, Apple Valley on the way back. That was fun, landing with 25+ knots of wind!

Thanks to Roger Lee (who I'm convinced could built a Rotax engine out of toothpicks), the CT purred like a kitten the whole way.

Awesome,  glad you had a great trip!

• 6 months later...

Archived