Anyone using the echoUAT - ADSB?

DJ Todd B

I have the Echo esx transponder with Skyfyx installed.   Have also used the Skybeacon version though the CTLS wingtip proved problomatic for reception.   The echo UAT with a Skyfyx gps is a great unit, small package, easy install and a good fit for the CT if you don't require 1090es.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, coppercity said:

I have the Echo esx transponder with Skyfyx installed.   Have also used the Skybeacon version though the CTLS wingtip proved problomatic for reception.   The echo UAT with a Skyfyx gps is a great unit, small package, easy install and a good fit for the CT if you don't require 1090es.

Isn’t the sky beacon wired over the existing electrical system? Please explain why you experience bad reception as I am interested in this solution..

1 hour ago, patrickwiering said:

Isn’t the sky beacon wired over the existing electrical system? Please explain why you experience bad reception as I am interested in this solution..

I believe he is saying the Skybeacon version (where the antenna is wingtip mounted) had reception issues.  This is probably due to the structure of the winglets on the tips blocking the signal in certain directions.  I would guess the droop tips on the CTSW would be even worse.

15 hours ago, patrickwiering said:

Yes, the Sky Beacon uses the existing wire harness and is a super easy install.  It is a great all in one unit.  Unfortunately I was unable to consistently receive Satellite signals against the carbon wingtip of the CTLS.  We have not given up on this type of unit and continue to work with uAvionix to improve reception, but no solid solution yet.  So as of now I would have to recommend the Echo UAT for the CTSW and CTLS. 

42 minutes ago, coppercity said:

So as of now I would have to recommend the Echo UAT for the CTSW and CTLS. 

Any traveling tips on installing that, Eric?

Did you position the GPS receiver on the glare shield? That is my preferred location.

7 hours ago, WmInce said:

Any traveling tips on installing that, Eric?

Did you position the GPS receiver on the glare shield? That is my preferred location.

I put the GPS antenna external, left inboard wing root.  Same location as the Skyview gps installs on late model CTLS.  The Echo UAT antenna needs some distance from the transponder antenna so under the belly below the ELT mount area is a good location using a similar ground plane as the transponder antenna.

24 minutes ago, coppercity said:

The Echo UAT antenna needs some distance from the transponder antenna so under the belly below the ELT mount area is a good location using a similar ground plane as the transponder antenna.

That's what uAvionix suggested when I talked to them.  They said proximity to the ELT antenna is not an issue since it doesn't transmit (we hope!), but that the 1m separation to the transponder antenna is critical.  My plan it to put it just behind the ELT antenna in the tunnel just under the access panel ahead of the ELT.  Easy access there for drilling and setting a ground plane.  My only concern is how wide the tunnel is for the ground plane; if it's less than 120mm it's going to be marginal according to uAvionix docs.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ls6pilot said:

I also am ordering the echouat and skyfx. Would also like to hear from anyone about their install.

Thanks

I went ahead and got the echoUAT and skyfyx ext gps. I just finished the install and am very happy with it. I have a CTSW and was able to mount the antenna directly on center line of the fuselage and had enough threads to just use the supplied nut. Barely but there was enough. That was one worry. That I would have to make an adapter. 

I did the basic wireless setup. So I did not need to wire it into the transponder. I only had to hook up power and ground on both units and run one wire from the gps to the com input on the echo. 
It works great. I passed the performance test with 0 failures. I did fail a couple things the first test flight but I called UAvionix and they told me exactly what to do and it worked flawlessly. 
They probably have the best customer support of any company I have ever dealt with!! 
The unit don’t have AHRS. So I did give that up by getting rid of my sentry ADSB in,  but it’s well worth it since I now have one less thing to take with me to the airport and one less thing to worry about charging up. 
Any questions feel free to ask. I’ll try to include a few pics. Sorry they aren’t very good. 
I also really like that now when I turn on my master switch the ADSB comes on with everything else and automatically connects to my iPad. Again. I just really like less things to mess with!! Lol

C76C04EB-0A7B-4479-A613-20F7AD01E46D.jpeg

414823D6-3BFE-478C-9922-1F095FD066FB.jpeg

5D8C5C30-ADB0-4AC1-90CD-3B4736496E82.jpeg

40180A09-91AD-490C-998C-314C61C80BB8.jpeg

E4252697-DC5B-4B2D-BD0A-A2CBEEAD2BB9.png

C2E33CC6-B31B-4AED-9EEA-E4F63D4F6BF4.png

• 1 month later...

My gps is mounted on the front of the glare shield inside the cockpit. Then I mounted the UAT unit just behind the panel on the pilot side. That made it so I was able to keep all of my wiring short since my ADSB antenna wasn’t far away and my circuit breaker and power supply was all right there. Haven’t had any problems from it. I talked with UAvionix and they are the ones that suggested those locations.