USB Charging - Without Any Interference!

gorilla

If you're like me, you've probably tried numerous USB 'cigarette lighter' chargers trying to find one that doesn't interfere with your radio or that doesn't send white noise to your headsets when you try to re-charge your iPad, phone or other such device.

I think after trying about 7 different USB chargers - including ones that had an Apple MFI certified endorsement - I was about to give up the ghost ...................until, I found one that works absolutely brilliantly!!!  In fairness, I think I read about it on one of the other American flying forums and decided to try it out.  It is completely silent in use, and has dual high-power (2.4 amp) outputs.  It is certified by RoHS, CE, FCC (whatever that means!) and has a 1 year warranty.

The only problem if you live in the UK (like me) is that you have to send off to the USA for it because I couldn't find any on this side of the pond.  The device is actually quite cheap‌‌ ($10.49 - reduced from $29.99) but after shipping charges, I paid about $35.00 (about £25.00).  However, all I can say is that if silence is golden to you whilst charging your USB devices, then this beauty is worth every cent.

It is made by SKIVA and here‌‌ is the link to the relevant webpage:
https://www.skivatech.com/products/powerflow-4-8a

‌Skiva PowerFlow Duo C-3 (4.8 Amps / 24 Watt / Fastest) Car Charger with Two Universal USB Charging Ports (AC116)‌

I  ordered one and paid by PayPal and it was delivered within a week‌‌.  I wired a 12-volt cigarette lighter socket into the panel of my CTSW and then inserted the SKIVA charger.  With a bit of engineering, I recessed the 12V socket so that the SKIVA charger lies flush with the face of my (RH) panel.  It looks very neat but more importantly, it works totally silently when charging my iPad running SD and charging my iPhone.

PS: I do not work for SKIVA!!!‌

Paul

• 7 months later...

I have a problem with my USB cigarette lighter charger for my iPad I have tried two of them in my CTLSi. The chargers work in my car and truck but don't work in the plane.

I have tested the outlet in the plane with a multi meter reading 13.2 volts and I have run a 12 volt sprayer pump from the outlet so there is power there.

But it won't come through the chargers won't even power the little lights on them, but no problem in the car.

Any ideas ?? Thanks John.

If the same setup works in a car and you have tested the 12v socket in the plane for 12v output then try either a different USB charger or install a new 12V socket. Both of these are not created equal many times. I have had 12v USB chargers work in one car, but not another. I just changed the USB plug and it was fine. Make sure you use a 3.0 and not a 2.0 USB charging plug.

3 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

My block wall is done. My shop gets started this Monday. $10K in building and $2500 in tools trashed, but it's all getting taken care of. At least I got a new toolbox and bandsaw out of it. :)

Glad it’s all working out for you, Roger. Which bandsaw are you considering?

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these "Charge4" USB chargers in my previous aircraft. 

They're specifically designed for aviation. 

I liked it so much that I've just bought another for my CT. 

https://charge4.harkwood.co.uk/

UK based, but I'm sure they'll ship internationally. More expensive than other options perhaps, but worth it for a fit for purpose device in my opinion. 

Archived