She won’t start?

Buckaroo

2007 CTSW 770 hours. Starts every blade until this morning.

Been two weeks since flown. Went out this morning to fly and cranking only. No pop or fart just turning with choke and noto choke.

Yes it has both oil and gas!

Any ideas? Hope it not the two $2k ignitions!?

Thanks!

The absolute first thing is to rule out a poor battery EVEN if you think it is okay because your human ear can not tell the difference between a few rpms that will start vs not start. Jump it from a good battery.  Jumping a battery is free and easy so do it. Once you know the battery is good and it still won't start place a 1 gallon baggy of ice around the ignition modules. Don't make it too full because you will want to wrap this around your ignition modules on top of the engine. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and try to start again. If it cranks right over buy new ignition modules. You can if you like send the modules you have into Lockwood and have them tested if you want.

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

The absolute first thing is to rule out a poor battery EVEN if you think it is okay because your human ear can not tell the difference between a few rpms that will start vs not start. Jump it from a good battery.  Jumping a battery is free and easy so do it. Once you know the battery is good and it still won't start place a 1 gallon baggy of ice around the ignition modules. Don't make it too full because you will want to wrap this around your ignition modules on top of the engine. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and try to start again. If it cranks right over buy new ignition modules. You can if you like send the modules you have into Lockwood and have them tested if you want.

Thanks Roger I will try your recommendation. If it’s the modules is that the $2000 part or can one get these cheaper?

1 hour ago, KentWien said:

I had the same problem. For me, it just turned out to be the battery. Odessey battery was about 6 years old if I remember correctly. 

I just went out to the hanger and put another very charged battery to her with the same results. Tomorrow morning I’ll try the ice.

Can anyone explain what the ice does to the ignition modules to let it start?

Thanks 

Yours is acting like mine did.  Most often when the modules fail, they won't warm start without ice.  Mine was opposite, and wouldn't cold start without heat.  Since you are having cold start issues, before the ice trick I would try hitting the modules with a heat gun on low or hair dryer for 30 seconds.  If that doesn't do it go to the ice.

If it is modules, fingers crossed it's just one bad one.

Ok back from the hanger. Went back with a big bright flashlight and saw this:

If you look between the heat wraps you’ll see a tiny white disconnected wire. That should go on the upper shrink wrap and is probably a wire to eliminate radio interference etc. I put that back in place and iced the ignitions. Walla she starts. Let the system go back to room temp and she still starts ever time. I waited two hours and she starts.

Question: When I uncoupled the main connection from the ignition to fix the wire did something happen that now cures the problem? Who knows I guess but since she is starting normally should I leave it alone?

1726FBC5-2ED7-40D5-A001-26AB3AB826DC.jpeg

22 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The normal thing is that you ice them and it starts, and it will continue to start like normal the rest of the day. Come back and try it tomorrow or next week and see what happens. That will be the true test.

Yesterday I iced them and it started beautifully. Today she started cold like she should. Now what???

38 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Yesterday I iced them and it started beautifully. Today she started cold like she should. Now what???

The way I see it you have 3 choices. Go until you have another issue and do further testing, pull the modules and send them to Lockwood for testing, or just replace them.

36 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

The way I see it you have 3 choices. Go until you have another issue and do further testing, pull the modules and send them to Lockwood for testing, or just replace them.

Yup you’re correct Tom and your 3 choice listing will be the order of how I will handle this!

I called Lockwood and learned that these ignition modules can do all kinds of crazy things  over a extended time when failing. I think the short answer is to pop em off and send them in when suspecting trouble. 

Im going to give mine one more chance before I send them in. In the mean time I’m putting more money away each month for the inevitable problem. 

Archived