Auto fuel available at your airport?

Trip

We have 3 FBOs, only 2 with fuel.   Was told today by the one without fuel that the airport isn’t allowing anyone to bring fuel in.   They’ve caught one person so far.   So what does it benefit me if I wanted to buy a CTLS and burn auto fuel?   Anyone else have this situation at their field?

Hey Tom.  I was told the fire marshall is the one who shuts them down.   I just read through your link and it seems to say they can restrict for unsafe reasons (and a few more).  How can bringing fuel in a container, either in 5 gal jugs or in a 40 gallon metal tank with bonding wiring, and fueling in an open space be unsafe?    I was also told Hawthorn has complained saying that they are losing fuel sales.

The FAA was going to shut down the control tower several years ago (KTCL) but the city is picking up the tab since then but I’m sure there have been federal grants at the airport.   So Federal law would apply here.  

30 minutes ago, Trip said:

Hey Tom.  I was told the fire marshall is the one who shuts them down.   I just read through your link and it seems to say they can restrict for unsafe reasons (and a few more).  How can bringing fuel in a container, either in 5 gal jugs or in a 40 gallon metal tank with bonding wiring, and fueling in an open space be unsafe?    I was also told Hawthorn has complained saying that they are losing fuel sales.

I would suggest that they designate an area for self fueling. Maybe add a ground reel for static. Fueling in a hangar or near a hangar Would be unsafe.

15 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I would suggest that they designate an area for self fueling. Maybe add a ground reel for static. Fueling in a hangar or near a hangar Would be unsafe.

I always thought that as well but just about every light sport place I have seen ( private or flight schools) that use Mogas, keep the fuel and fuel the planes inside hangars - now I do the same but at least make sure to keep the door open.

My hangar lease (which is with the city directly) agreement also states that jet fuel, gasoline, or other highly flammable liquids are not to be stored in the hangar, except that which is contained in the aircraft's fuel tanks.  I did speak with the airport manager, and he did say that self fueling is allowed, since the airport has taken federal grants, and that he had absolutely no problem with it, as long as basic safety was adhered to.

Archived