uAvionix skyBeacon for ADS-B Out

MileHighCTLS

I just installed the Dynon SV GPS 2020 antenna on our plane and now I'm ADSB in and out compliant.  It only costs $570.   If you have the Dynon 261 Transponder, Dynon 470 (or 472) ADSB receiver and the Dynon SV GPS 250 antenna, its an easy swap.  Just remove the 250 and install the new 2020.  Splice 4 wires and the new 2020 installs in with the same 4 screws.  Change a few settings in the setup screen and that's it.   But...don't expect to get the FAA $500 rebate if only installing the 2020 antenna.  I just got denied the rebate from them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I read the following in my Skyview Manual. Does it mean that those of use with the integrated SV-XPNDR-26X module and the SV-XPNDR-261 already have ADB-B out capability with some minor firmware upgrades? Or do we still need the SV-GPS-2020?

FROM MY MANUAL:

ADS-B OUT Transmissions

If SkyView has a valid GPS signal and a SV-XPNDR-26X module is installed and working, it automatically provides ADS-B output at the appropriate integrity level for the GPS signal being used.

ADS-B OUT transmissions that meet the 2020 FAA ADS-B equipment mandate require that a compliant GPS be provided to a capable ADS-B device (such as the SV-XPNDR-261). For this purpose, a dedicated serial input is provided on the SV-XPNDR-26X module that allows an appropriate GPS receiver serial output to be connected directly to the SV-XPNDR-26X. When an SV-XPNDR-261 is connected to a suitable GPS source and is running the latest version of transponder software, the SV-XPNDR-261’s ADS-B transmissions can attain the integrity level necessary to meet the FAA’s 2020 ADS-B equipment mandate. Refer to the SkyView System Installation Guide for more details about connectivity and information on updating the firmware on the SV-XPNDR-261 for this compliance. Note that only the SV-XPNDR-261 is capable of meeting the 2020 ADS-B Out mandate because of power transmission requirements that the FAA ADS-B rules imposes on ADS-B transmitter devices.

1 hour ago, MileHighCTLS said:

I read the following in my Skyview Manual. Does it mean that those of use with the integrated SV-XPNDR-26X module and the SV-XPNDR-261 already have ADB-B out capability with some minor firmware upgrades? Or do we still need the SV-GPS-2020?.

Correct. You still need SV-GPS-2020 (or an equivalent) to have a compliant GPS position source for ADS-B Out.

The SV-GPS-250 position source will not suffice to satisfy the 2020 ADS-B mandate.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/gps-receiver-module.php

I swapped out the SV-GPS-250 with the 2020 by myself.  Its pretty easy.  An hour job if you have a second person to help you.  You'll need some metric hex keys, a wire cutter/stripper, pliers, and something to splice the wires (wire nuts).  You have to take the overhead ceiling liner out to access the back side of the existing antenna.  I think you have to remove 6 or so small screws to do that.  Then to remove the existing antenna, you'll need to use a pair of pliers or the correct size wrench (about 10mm I believe) to hold the nut on the backside of the antenna and a Phillips screwdriver to remove the screws on the outside of the airplane.  I was able to remove the existing antenna by myself, but had to have a second person help me install the new one because its hard to work both sides of the screw by yourself.  Its a pain in the butt to splice the wires, but there are only four, so it doesn't take very long.  After that you'll need to adjust a few settings on your Skyview and your are done.  No reason to do the FAA required ADSB refund test flight, because its not eligible for the refund.  The guys at Dynon are pretty helpful if you have any problems. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You need to go into the menu and change the approptriate port setting to 2020 and then go into the transponder menu and change it to 2020. Mine was on port 5.  The choice will be on the screen. 

Don't try this in the Hangar, you need a GPS signal for it to find the appropriate settings.

Not very difficult.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 11:11 AM, Andy A said:

No reason to do the FAA required ADSB refund test flight, because its not eligible for the refund.  The guys at Dynon are pretty helpful if you have any problems. 

Has this changed? I installed the 261 and 2020 during the first round and received the $500 check after flying the test flight under the Class B in the Twin Cities.

• 4 months later...

Since the last time I posted, I have installed the SV-GPS-2020 and also adjusted the settings in the Skyview. Now a very simple question. How do you test to see if everything is operating correctly. How do I know the system is transmitting ADS-B Out data?

I was flying last night in Denver and thought I'd ask Centennial Tower (KAPA). 

"Centennial Tower, Light Sport 888MM just had ADS-B Out installed. Can you tell me if you're reading our ADS-B transmission and aircraft data?"

"Ahh, Light Sport 8MM, we do not see ADS-B data in here. All I can tell you is that your Mode C is telling me you're at 6-thousand, 8-hundred feet, and you're in the traffic pattern."

What am I missing? Will towers and centers eventually have receiving equipment to see all of this data we are being required to transmit?

And, how did you test your installation?