Unequal fuel usage

Al Downs

I know this topic has been beaten to death but it is still a concern

I have four CTLS's. One private and three for training. They all burn a little unequal for the fuel tanks and have for years. One has changed drastically and I don't know why. It always burns from the right wing first. It will continually burn from the right side until that tank is empty. This is very unsettling for students and renters. To the point that some won't even fly it.

Recently I drained all of the gas, checked the flow, checked the vents and checked with a level to see if the mushroom was so out of wack that when the ball was centered you would be actually flying uncoordinated. All of these checked good.  When the tank runs empty there will be 10 plus in the other tank.

I am doing a wing inspection next week and will be replacing the rubber hoses. Maybe a hose is coming apart in the inside forming s flapper valve. I don't know what else to do.

1 hour ago, Al Downs said:

I have four CTLS's. One private and three for training. They all burn a little unequal for the fuel tanks and have for years. One has changed drastically and I don't know why. It always burns from the right wing first. It will continually burn from the right side until that tank is empty. This is very unsettling for students and renters. To the point that some won't even fly it.

Recently I drained all of the gas, checked the flow, checked the vents and checked with a level to see if the mushroom was so out of wack that when the ball was centered you would be actually flying uncoordinated. All of these checked good.  When the tank runs empty there will be 10 plus in the other tank.

I am doing a wing inspection next week and will be replacing the rubber hoses. Maybe a hose is coming apart in the inside forming s flapper valve. I don't know what else to do.

Al,

Be sure to let us know if you find the culprit.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Al Downs said:

If the left fuel cap assembly is leaking then it would draw all the fuel out of the right wing first. I assume there is no fuel seepage on the left wing?

I would not only look at the fuel cap but the fuel cap assembly.  Sometimes the epoxy erodes around that assembly and fuel leaks out and that could create a low pressure on that side pulling fuel from the opposite wing. 

That assembly is only glued in.

I had the whole assembly depart the aircraft and it emptied all the fuel from the opposite wing due to the low pressure over the wing pulling it out. 

Kind of a far reach I know but it is worth a look.

1 hour ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Fuel flowing towards the engine relies on gravity alone.  Returning fuel to a tank due to an imbalance requires a siphon. This does not explain exhausting one tank before beginning to use the other.

You have one. You just forgot about it. :)

Archived