Fuel leak

ls6pilot

You may find 90 in/lbs isn't enough and it's okay to go more. I use more than 90 in/lbs (7.5 ft/lbs isn't much for a crush washer) on the crush washers. The oil tank one is 18 ft/lbs for the crush washer and so are a few other ones on the engine. Bottom line is you don't want a leak. You may find tightening that banjo bolt on the side of the carb far easier if you remove the cheke off the side of the carb. FD's air filter intake fitting gets in the way. FD is the only one I have seen that used this adapter.

Thanks  for the above info - Got the fuel hose installed and a good carb maintenance done too.  New leak !! Argh.  At the fuel shut off Valve...  Took the valve apart and there are some orings that probably need replacement  but there is a nylon part in there that was worn and thus the cause of leak ... any references pls as to where can buy same fuel shut off valve ?  (2006 CTSW if that matters) 

On 6/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Madhatter said:

Copper crush washers work harden over time and don't work well when repeatedly tightened. Use new or heat to dull red and immediately throw in water.  Then they will seal well. You can do this once or twice and then have to replace them.

Now that is a cool tip.  I guess heating it just expands the copper a bit so it will crush/seal better?  But I assume the fast water quench also makes it more brittle, hence the "once or twice" limit.  Is that right?

58 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Now that is a cool tip.  I guess heating it just expands the copper a bit so it will crush/seal better?  But I assume the fast water quench also makes it more brittle, hence the "once or twice" limit.  Is that right?

Not exactly. The copper work hardens when it is tightened down. The heating and quenching softens it back up so it will seal again. Each time you tighten it down though it will compress and smash out. After a few times it will be pressed out of shape. I have removed some lock pin plugs that have been smashed so far that they wouldn't slide off the plug, and had to be cut off. For the cost of new gaskets it is not worth my time to anneal them. The old ones go into a container to be taken to scrap sometime in the future. Maybe by the time copper gets back up to $10 per pound I will have enough for a couple dollars. 😁