Heat Control Mirror Film

CT2K

CT2k,

I have done this to my plane. I have a mirror film on the nearly-horizontal top portion of the front windscreen, from the leading edge of the wings back, and covering the top window (aft of the main spar).

I am very happy with it. I didn't like the sun beating down on me all the time. I guess if you lived somewhere that's alway cold, or if you were doing a lot of canyon flying, you might feel differently.

I don't seem to have any pictures looking down on the plane, but you can see the film in this front shot anyway.

Mike Koerner

181Q at Torrance.jpg

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your prompt and valuable contribution. Indeed a picture is worth a thousand words.

This is exactly what I am after. I even wonder if I can pull the film all the way down to the bottom of the windscreen.

May I ask if it behaved well with season and temperature alternations (hot summer, freezing winter)? Did you apply it from the inside? or the outside of the plane?

Kind Regards.

CT2k,

The film I have is nearly opaque, so no, I don't think pulling it down to the bottom of the windscreen would be a good idea... unless you're really proficient on instruments. 🙂

The most you can see through it is a bright area where the sun is. I have given up on using these surfaces for spotting traffic or clearing steep turns (climbs???). But the truth is, I didn't use them this way anyway. The spar is in the way for seeing out the top of the front windscreen and the top window isn't much better. Others may have a different view on this.

My point was to keep the heat of the sun out and the film I have certainly does this.

I got it from an auto parts store. I do not know the brand or model.

It has been on the plane for about 5 years now with no sign of wear, peeling or bubbles. It's applied to the inside.

Again, I'm very happy with it.

Mike Koerner

Archived