uAvionix Tail Beacon

Lsapilot

I have a tailbeacon installed on one of my planes. Waiting until after Uavionix Sun & Fun people get back on Monday to discuss with them.There seems to be a problem with the shadow of the elevator similar to the skybeacon caused by the winglets.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Al Downs said:

It appears both the Skybeacon and TailBeacon do not work well on the CTLS. I have tried both and cannot get good flight reports.

That is unfortunate. Was hoping that would work out for you and others.

• 11 months later...

I installed TailBeacon in Jan, and have not had any issues with reports showing great results.  I have some insight on two items that others have struggled with, one is the settings within the App, and the second is the manner of flying the test flight to check the performance.  Can you post the flight report, and share more details?

The items that others have had to address to improve performance are:

1) In App Advanced settings, for the Transponder Threshold Adjustment, enter a value of 35.  I used this from the initial install and all has been working well.  I believe this was recently learned towards end of last year, that 35 is the optimum setting for Tailbeacon to read transponder signal.  I forget where I found that info at the time, it may have been in uAvionics info, or from some other forum.  This value can be adjusted up and down in trial and error as well, but would not jump to that.  I'd start by confirming where yours is set, and change to 35 if not presently at 35.

2) The test flight should be flown to the prescribed manners of powering up and awaiting 5 minutes without motion, steady slow taxi, complete stop on runway when ending flight.  Leaving a lot of particulars out here, the uAvionix site has info, and broad searches speak to what others have done.

Another point to share is only rely on the PAPR for true understanding, as I often have pointed to FlightAware in these discussions and that is ground based receiver info separate from FAA.  I fly out of my backyard and in an area with few ground stations feeding these web based flight trackers.  I rarely pick up complete flights on FlightAware in local area unless very high altitude, but PAPR still reads great.  Just checked my last three flights, all still reading excellent with no issues.