Headset Port Placement

CTSleepy

Hi guys.

I tried finding this topic but I didn't see it even though I swear I saw it somewhere...

On my CTSW, the headset ports are behind the seats,  when sitting in the seat it puts pressure on them... the passenger one is starting to break in and out, anyone have a solution? Right angle connectors or something simple?

1 hour ago, CTSleepy said:

Hi guys.

I tried finding this topic but I didn't see it even though I swear I saw it somewhere...

On my CTSW, the headset ports are behind the seats,  when sitting in the seat it puts pressure on them... the passenger one is starting to break in and out, anyone have a solution? Right angle connectors or something simple?

I have seen a few CTSW's with the receptacles broke out. It is almost always because the seatback is not properly supported with the strap, or the seat is to far back in the tracks. just because there are holes in the tracks doesn't mean the seats can be moved all the way back. I have seen airplanes where the strap was not even being used. besides the damage to the receptacles it also places undue stress on the seat causing them to need repairs.

I have seen extra receptacles added to the sides of the mushroom before.

25 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I have seen a few CTSW's with the receptacles broke out. It is almost always because the seatback is not properly supported with the strap, or the seat is to far back in the tracks. just because there are holes in the tracks doesn't mean the seats can be moved all the way back. I have seen airplanes where the strap was not even being used. besides the damage to the receptacles it also places undue stress on the seat causing them to need repairs.

Hm... this might be a stupid question but which strap? And what's a mushroom (other than a culinary necessity)? I actually found that moving the seat back and upright prevents pressure on the plugs... but I have a feeling it's a strap issue just don't know what in looking for. 

If the support straps (1 per seat) are not adjusted properly, it can result in a cracked or broken seat. The purpose is to prevent the seat back from slamming against the aft bulkhead. The integrity of each seat, is an inspection item, during the annual Condition Inspection.

Regarding the connection jacks, I used ss fender washers, on the back side of the jacks, to provide extra reinforcement. That has worked out fine, over the past 4+ years.

2 minutes ago, WmInce said:

If the support straps are not adjusted properly, it can result in a cracked or broken seat. The purpose is to prevent the seat back from slamming against the aft bulkhead. The integrity of each seat, is an inspection item, during the annual Condition Inspection.

Regarding the connection jacks, I used ss fender washers, on the back side of the jacks, to provide extra reinforcement. That has worked out fine, over the past 4+ years.

Do you happen to have a picture of the strap... I have no clue what I'm looking for but I'll check it next time I go out... thank you all for your help. 

The low back seats allow you to see the top of the rear support strap.  Not the seat  belts but the one in the middle that dives down behind the seat so it can provide support.

If your seat back is resting against the bulkhead the frame is in danger of breaking and your more likely to damage your headset jacks.

If you have ever adjusted your seat you need to check and likely adjust the back strap so it is providing support.

2007-flight-design-ctsw-for-sale-13.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

The low back seats allow you to see the top of the rear support strap.  Not the seat  belts but the one in the middle that dives down behind the seat so it can provide support.

If your seat back is resting against the bulkhead the frame is in danger of breaking and your more likely to damage your headset jacks.

If you have ever adjusted your seat you need to check and likely adjust the back strap so it is providing support.

The upper attach point, of the seat back support strap, is at the smaller strap, located between the 2, larger, shoulder harness straps, just above the top of seat.

By the way, there are two different types of seats.  The one above . . . and the one that has a taller head restraint. The support straps for each are identical though.

26 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Thank you Ed.  So tighten them up. I just didn't know!

13 minutes ago, WmInce said:

The upper attach point, of the seat back support strap, is at the smaller strap, located between the 2, larger, shoulder harness straps, just above the top of seat.

By the way, there are two different types of seats.  The one above . . . and the one that has a taller head restraint. The support straps for each are identical though.

Thank you! I'll get that adjusted... too windy today buy next time I go out. 

13 minutes ago, CTSleepy said:

Thank you Ed.  So tighten them up. I just didn't know!

One or both of them may be leaning against the bulkhead or even used to be, or even contacted the bulkhead and broke the frame.  You can inspect/feel the internal carbon fiber frame and if it is broken you can tell.

I reinforced both headset plugs with rectangular pieces of thicker aluminum (forgot the thickness) on both sides of the bulkhead. You still need to adjust the seat properly.

Ten or so years ago I started using Telex Stratus 50D headsets with the Lemo connector (ships power rather than batteries). I had an avionics shop place the connector on the bulkhead behind my left ear. Worked great with the 50D's as the volume control and on/off switches are on the ear muffs. Now that I am using Lightspeed Zulu III's with an inline control box it would be better if the Lemo plug was by my right ear, left ear for the passenger. I may move the plugs.

3 hours ago, sandpiper said:

I reinforced both headset plugs with rectangular pieces of thicker aluminum (forgot the thickness) on both sides of the bulkhead. You still need to adjust the seat properly.

Ten or so years ago I started using Telex Stratus 50D headsets with the Lemo connector (ships power rather than batteries). I had an avionics shop place the connector on the bulkhead behind my left ear. Worked great with the 50D's as the volume control and on/off switches are on the ear muffs. Now that I am using Lightspeed Zulu III's with an inline control box it would be better if the Lemo plug was by my right ear, left ear for the passenger. I may move the plugs.

Thank you for the advice. Will do.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:05 PM, Tom Baker said:

You nailed it... it was the strap! I tightened it and then mid flight the seats fell back again so I tightened them and then tied them. Stayed nicely. Thank you for the solution.

On 5/26/2019 at 2:43 PM, Ed Cesnalis said:

Thank you Ed for the picture. Led me straight to the strap and it was no problem from there.