How to mount a tire the easy way

Roger Lee

I've never had a problem fitting tyres and never used any sort of clamp ! i did 2 main tyres a while ago took less than 30 mins to do both and that's removing wheel as well , in what way is there a problem ? tube pinching ?

Mike

I came up with another way sort of by accident. Raising the wing up onto my padded ladder, I only managed to get the rims 2 1/2" off the ground. When I put the new tire on, the bottom is already pushing against the ground but I could still force the tire to rotate. The upper part of the tire and tube are meanwhile held off the rim. So I just snugged the 6 rim bolts down starting on the top part as I rotated the tire around. No pinching.

Micromike, if you have factory "v" rims still on your CT, then there's no worries with pinched tubes. If you have the flat section Matco rims, which I believe are also narrower than the factories, you're a better man than I am if you didn't find a few new cuss words getting the tires assembled without pinching tubes. Using Roger's method of clamping the tires to prevent tube pinching on the Matco's (or to now maybe Chanik's method?) is the best way I have found with flat sectioned rims such as the Matco's.

Even on the Italian Marc wheels a stiff tire sidewall can be a challenge at best. If you have the small tires and use only a 4 ply then life isn't so bad. The front wheel from Italy is such a deep vee in the center that any tire is a piece of cake. Use a better wheel like a Matco and or a better tire like a 6-8 ply with the 6.00-6 and good luck finding 2 men and a boy to put it together.

Using the method in the pictures greatly reduces the chance of pinching a tube and makes the wheel halves easy to put back together. I have had A&P's call me from around the country asking how to do this. If you have never struggled to put one together then you haven't met the right tire yet.

Speaking of the larger 6.00-6 tires. I would stay away from the 8 plys from Desser and only use the 6.00-6 6 ply. You might even specify you want the Condor 6.00-6 6 ply Monster tread because some of the 6.00-6 8 plys are either Goodyear or Michelin tires and are very stiff in the sidewall. The Condor 6 ply 6.00-6 is a good thick tread tire that wears like iron with good flexibility and no thorns will bother it. It is rated at 1750 lbs per wheel. The 8 ply rating of 2300 per tire is just too much. 24-28 psi for the 6.00-6 6 ply seems to be a good range to be in and the lower pressure. The 6 ply at these pressures give you good stability and have a sidewall that will give a little on landing to act as a cushion. Using the a little lighter pressure in these tires are no big deal and they aren't in any danger of turning on the wheel at those pressures. The stiffer the ply and sidewall the more pressure to keep them from having any issues and this seems to be more noticable in the small tires like the 4.00-4 and the 4.00-6 tires. Also make sure when you order tubes that if you have Matco wheels you order 90 degree stems. Straight stems will not work.

I have in inquiry to a supervisor at Desser on the new 4.00-4 8 ply. I have heard, but can't confirm yet, that this 8 ply is very flexible in the sidewall compared to the same tire a year ago that was too stiff for us to use well because we needed to keep 50+ psi in it so it would hold it's shape and not accidentally turn on the wheel at lower pressures. If this is true great and if not we will need to find another supplier for the 4.00-4 series tire. I'll keep you informed.

Hi All,

Here is the easy way to mount a tire on the wheel. You will use a lot less choice words and do it in 1/4th the time.

I have been doing it this way for the last several years and the nice people at Matco made a nice picture for everyone.

Enjoy

Question: Do you carry spare tires and tubes when you cross-country??

• 1 month later...

What about talcum powder? I blew a tube a few flights after changing the tire. My biking friend says you should always rub talcum powder over a new tube to keep it from sticking to the tire in case the tire slips on the rim. Is this common practice?

Hi Kurt,

It is normal to add a small amount of talc in the tire and swish it around so when the tube inflates it distributes evenly and does not stay folded or wrinkled. When you order from Desser tire they will send you a small package of talc if you request it for free.

Cheap new Aero Classic tires. I just bought a pair of 4.00-6 and a 4.00-4 for $25ea and $40 respectively. Here in San Jose, Victory Aero has the surplus stock from a defunct light sport dealer in Watsonville. kregg@balancemyprop.com

Damn. I was just at RHV with my CTsw for my BFR yesterday. I didn't know he had a stock of tires (presumably from Light Sport West?).

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to see if he has any left. I need a spare nosewheel tube/tire for my supply.

Archived