Which Coolant Do I Have?

CTSleepy

So, my coolant needed filling a month ago, I went to the automotive store and bought the best they had.  It was orange (I forget exactly what I bought, it's at the hangar, I believe a Prestone product).

I was speaking with Flight Design on another matter and I told them I filled the reservoir with new coolant.  FD told me to remove the new coolant and go to a BMW motorcycle dealer and buy their approved coolant... which is the same coolant in the FD manual.  So, I bought a turkey baster and removed the coolant in the reservoir and added the new "blue" coolant.  The new "blue" coolant bottle is attached if you are interested.  I keep photos of all plane matters, good practice.

Rotax Coolant change fix.jpg

You should not mix coolant types (colors). The airplanes when delivered have a European sourced coolant. I would leave that in, and replace with some from BMW as stated above until it is time to change it. When it is time to change it switch to Dex-Cool. It is a recommended coolant by Rotax.

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

So, my coolant needed filling a month ago, I went to the automotive store and bought the best they had.  It was orange (I forget exactly what I bought, it's at the hangar, I believe a Prestone product).

I was speaking with Flight Design on another matter and I told them I filled the reservoir with new coolant.  FD told me to remove the new coolant and go to a BMW motorcycle dealer and buy their approved coolant... which is the same coolant in the FD manual.  So, I bought a turkey baster and removed the coolant in the reservoir and added the new "blue" coolant.  The new "blue" coolant bottle is attached if you are interested.  I keep photos of all plane matters, good practice.

Rotax Coolant change fix.jpg

Thank you. Good post and I like your photo policy, will start doing that. 

I used to run an aerospace company... first rule in anything flying (Parts, or people)... the other guy likes to blame YOU.  So, if you have the facts on your side, you win, the other guy -- who is typically backed by the best law firms and Billions of dollars in sales or power (Government) -- has the money, patience and power.  All we pilots have are facts.  Roger Lee stressed this point as well in his Rotax class.  Keep your engine and plane records tip top, you never know...

PS, I should have added this fact in my original post a few hours ago on the coolant... my Rotax is under warranty so I am extra nutty on "by the book".