2nd best fuel option

Ben2k9

I was told at Rotax training that ethanol was preferred unless your plane is specifically prohibited from using ethanol gas ( which ctls is not )

I think the ranking went like this :

1. Avgas UL 94

2. Mogas 91 without ethanol 

3. Mogas 91 with ethanol

4. Avgas 100 

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, Warmi said:

1. Avgas UL 94

2. Mogas 91 without ethanol 

3. Mogas 91 with ethanol

4. Avgas 100 

This is defiantly the best way to go.  Tom is right, never let E10 sit in the tank for months.  Choosing between E10 or 100LL depends on how long you might need to store the fuel.

UL94 is the best of all worlds - Lowest vapor pressure (least susceptible to vapor lock), best gum (impurities) index, etc  I would strongly recommend that you do what you can to use and support this new grade of Avgas.  An actual unleaded fuel designed for aircraft, has lots of safety benefits.

Fortunately the CT does not seem to be as susceptible to vapor lock with Mogas as other aircraft though I have had it happen in a CT on takeoff with Mogas under extreme conditions (Hot, High altitude, after a 30 min stop on the ground)  All I had was a pressure loss - no power loss.

John

Thanks.  I'm at KRVS and there are zero options except jugs.  I just wonder how much of a hassle it is to get this on the field.  I will call and see if there is some way to get some delivered by the barrel.  If cost is least comparable to on-field 100LL it would be worth it for me.

I have e-mailed the guys at swift fuels in the past, when i was first considering the CTSW, From what I remember is they really don't want to ship/sell you a 50 gal drum, The shipping costs make the cost of the fuel unreasonable, I do not remember the price. The way that the fuel cost would be reasonable, was they have a tank they will let you use/truck to you, if you buy "x amount" of gallons, I think it was in the neighborhood of 500 gals, This option is intended for fly-ins and the like.

I wish I would have saved the e-mail's. But that is what I recollect.

Needless to say, I was not worth it/feasible, in my opinion anyway.

I just talked with them today and I guess that local station now only has 91 octane without ethanol.  I'll run by this afternoon and doublecheck.

I asked them if there was any way to get the 94UL at KRVS and they said they haven't found a way.  They have something like 20 planes within 50 NM of the field so I can't imagine there isn't a market.

May need to see what it would take to get a tank and pump added.